Fastest way to go through a box of dimes help?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need any tips I can get on the fastest way to knock out a box of dimes.. Those dreaded Loomis wrappers I hate them, I can't re use them, and I have to by hand roll all the dimes back up after opening it. What are some things you guys do? Unfortunately there are no banks with a free coin machine in my area:BangHead: I'm not even checking the faces of each dime and its still taking me wayy to long to go through a box. On average how long should it take me to go through one roll? Any tips?

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No skill just routine. You learn the best method over time. Unless you want to use one of those tubes to measure it out.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No TD Banks around you? only need 100$ to open a checking account...

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No TD Banks around you? only need 100$ to open a checking account...
Nope no td banks. I'm in Washington state.... I have a becu account but their machine only gives gift cards when I clearly need cash to get more dimes... Smh the only real option is buying a coin machine for $120 ugh but if it really saves me time I'd say its worth it
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Soverei...8&qid=1424838822&sr=1-4&keywords=Coin+counter it's like the ultimate home coin machine lol

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a picture of a Loomis roll for me. If they are like NF n String rolls, you can use a small flat head screw driver, pick out one of the corner where the end is tucked into the roll, and work your way around a bit. Then use your fingers to pull out the rolled up wrapper which should open up the end. Take a pen and push the dimes out the other end...

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a picture of a Loomis roll for me. If they are like NF n String rolls, you can use a small flat head screw driver, pick out one of the corner where the end is tucked into the roll, and work your way around a bit. Then use your fingers to pull out the rolled up wrapper which should open up the end. Take a pen and push the dimes out the other end...
Yea that sounds like Loomis but that's not the problem... It impossible to put the dimes back into the same wrapper. I have to roll them back into a different wrapper, that takes a lot longer than needed

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope no td banks. I'm in Washington state.... I have a becu account but their machine only gives gift cards when I clearly need cash to get more dimes... Smh the only real option is buying a coin machine for $120 ugh but if it really saves me time I'd say its worth it
Amazon.com : Royal Sovereign FS-44P 4 Row Coin Sorter with Auto Row Advancement, Digital Display and Anti-Jam Feature : Coin Sorters And Counters : Office Products it's like the ultimate home coin machine lol

Where in wa state?

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm down in Tacoma. Can't wait to search your dumps :laughing7:

There are a few crh'ers in this area. if you're ever in my area we should meet up

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm down in Tacoma. Can't wait to search your dumps :laughing7:

There are a few crh'ers in this area. if you're ever in my area we should meet up
Haha watch for my marks its just two simple lines in sharpee right next to each other. And yea there seems to be a good amount of hunters here as well I'm always finding huge dumps in the thousands at some banks around here.. All skunks unfortunately

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean about the boxed dimes.
I ended up going to customer rolled only, and had no problem picking up $2k-$5k per month from 3 different banks.
I can edge search and re-roll cwr's in less than 10 seconds. When I dumped, it was $500 bags of rolled dimes.

I have discovered over the years that, regardless of what a bank tells you, they are fully capable of accommodating any roll hunter's needs. Good luck with that.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the box from one bank, dump it at the next, no searching is necessary since you probably wouldn't find any silver dimes anyway.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need any tips I can get on the fastest way to knock out a box of dimes.. Those dreaded Loomis wrappers I hate them, I can't re use them, and I have to by hand roll all the dimes back up after opening it. What are some things you guys do? Unfortunately there are no banks with a free coin machine in my area:BangHead: I'm not even checking the faces of each dime and its still taking me wayy to long to go through a box. On average how long should it take me to go through one roll? Any tips?

Why do you want to get faster? The searching is supposed to be the fun part. If you do not enjoy the search, then why bother? Unless you're doing high volume with better than average results, you would most likely save money (and a lot of the time you are so concerned with) by just purchasing the silver outright.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simple dime search method: slice both ends off, unfurl roll on soft surface, loupe or eyeball edges for silver and any unusual edge, since foreign, Canadian and even grungy silvers will appear a bit off. reroll in a new empty roll which you can get in bulk from any bank at no cost. my method allows a full box search in 1 to 1 1/2 hours, I don't reroll, just bag and take to free CU machine. weighing can help to find short and extra coin rolls. normal clad dime roll weight is 114 to 114.4 grams. clad dime is 2.27 gms, silver is 2.5 gms allowing minor variance for planchet thickness deviations and wear. 163 boxes searched with 113 silvers: rosies, mercs. and 4 Canadian. many boxes are solid clad, but when that super clean Merc shows, all skunks are forgotten. HH

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The easiest obviously is to find banks where they still use clear plastic wraps.

But no places use them anymore around these parts. I don't search dimes so much anymore as I used to for obvious reasons. When I do, my method is similar to port ewen ace's. I use a sharp pry tool (end of a shank) to pry up the crimped paper on one end. Then I use a pencil to push the coins out from the other end. After edge searching it, will push the coins back into the same paper roll through the opened end. I weigh to the rolls to make them accurate. Then put into bag for bank dumping with the total amount info filled out on the bag. The time to do this about the same as port ewen ace's (1 to 1.5 hrs.).

Of course if you had clear plastic, you could search it in 10 mins. or less.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You clearly arent looking very hard! I know - for a fact - that WSECU in Washington state offer free coin counters at some of their locations. I hunted that area a few times while visiting family and found them. But what do i know, I live 3000 miles away!

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is "Too" long? Just curious.

If I were picking up one box and searching it in 10 mins....it would seem kinda boring

Are you looking for only silver?

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You clearly arent looking very hard! I know - for a fact - that WSECU in Washington state offer free coin counters at some of their locations. I hunted that area a few times while visiting family and found them. But what do i know, I live 3000 miles away!

+1.

US bank has coin counting machine behind the counter. You just need to hand over your coins in bag and the teller count them for you. I searched thousands of halves and dimes when I visited there. I live 3000 miles away too.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
What is "Too" long? Just curious.

If I were picking up one box and searching it in 10 mins....it would seem kinda boring

Are you looking for only silver?

Personally for me. Yes. Dimes aren't known for their clad rarities. The odds of finding a 1982 (No P) is very low. Simply not worth the time for me to go through clad dimes for errors and the like.

Just curious, what do you look for in dimes besides the silver, proofs, and foreign coins which are very obvious in edge searches? Have you found anything very notable or extremely rare?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally for me. Yes. Dimes aren't known for their clad rarities. The odds of finding a 1982 (No P) is very low. Simply not worth the time for me to go through clad dimes for errors and the like.

Just curious, what do you look for in dimes besides the silver, proofs, and foreign coins which are very obvious in edge searches? Have you found anything very notable or extremely rare?
Better question is what the hell do you do with the foreign coins haha.... i found 3 Canadian dimes non silver in one roll.... do i put them back in the roll? what if they do a magnet test at the bank :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread