Favorite digging tool?

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I currently use the Planter Buddy as well, but I would advise against it just like all other digging tools sold in hardware stores. My blade has already bent, albeit a slight bend. It's just not made to do the kinds of things we are doing... it's meant to open up bags of soil and plant flowers!!

Do yourself a favor and get something made of STEEL, anything!!! THICK STEEL.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
I ended up getting a Lesche hand tool after snapping my Ames planter buddy in half. Never looking back!

conlaodh

Dec 10, 2007
Denver
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505, Explorer II
Has anyone used the new digging tool from Minelab (Kellyco $29.95) and what thoughts do you have on it.

Conlaodh

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
I've seen one up close and I can say it looks like it will cut roots better than the Lesche diggers. Actually, the Lesche diggers are a joke for most roots, the gaps in the teeth of the tool are not wide enough for most roots that you can't just break with your hands. As far as what metal it's made of and will it bend or not, I don't know.

berkshiregold

Nov 15, 2008
Berkshire County Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Minelab Equinox 800
Got mine from Sears. 18" post hole shovel. Goes deep. Neat plugs. Short handle.

Attachments

• Narrow Shovel.jpg
    Narrow Shovel.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,244

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
I like this one, I've had it for a couple of years. It's a hori-hori knife, a Japanese farmers knife. The Lesche was probably modeled after this one. The 7-1/4" blade is concave and it cuts very neat plugs. It is made of heavy stainless steel. It has a scale on the blade in millimeters. 25mm is 1 inch so it is handy for measuring. It is almost razor sharp when new and one side has teeth so it saws through roots no problem.

Attachments

• Digger1.jpg
    Digger1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,102

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my old Gator, It's a few inches shorter than it was when it was new. There are hardly any teeth on it anymore so there is no danger of getting bit.

Attachments

• gator1.JPG
    gator1.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,129

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
I use a Corona 3020 - 8$
made of aluminum alloy and does not bend but and is strong
I live in Florida - so theres no rocks so I don't know about prying rocks with it.
I put teeth on one side and an edge all the way around.
Had 5 years now....
Best 8 bucks I ever spent.

Bill

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got an AMES Planter's Buddy for roots and lighter work, but this baby does the dirty stuff.............
Predator Little Eagle Shovel
little_eagle.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread