FDR must know I dont like him...

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
FDR must know I don't like him...

...because dimes seem to be a total waste of time for me. They're not even worth looking through, because they're all brand-new! I've tried buying 2 boxes now, and both were obvious hose jobs. The first was brand-new 2012 dimes (Loomis wrapped, too), and this time they were all 2009-Ps! Again, Loomis-wrapped as opposed to being Mint-wrapped, which might actually be worth something. Grumble.

I broke open two rolls, though, and these 2009s do look brand-new. Almost look like they've just been sitting in the box for 3 years. Even though they're Loomis MWRs, might they still be worth something numismatically? I'm guessing no, but I figured I'd ask. Also, is there a way to avoid this when ordering boxes of dimes? Is there something I should be saying? Some help would be appreciated, hehe :)

Luckily, dimes were an afterthought, though - I got all the halves I could find in my target area, and I found 5-40%, which was nice :) Also located a little hoard of SBAs and found a 1979 Wide Rim - my first! Considering there was only $90 or so in the SBAs, I consider myself pretty lucky there. So, all in all, not too bad a day, even with gas and the skunky dimes factored in, lol...

Upvote 0

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I think 2009 dimes might be worth extra? They were a low mintage I think. Checking Ebay now, will post what I find

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
...because dimes seem to be a total waste of time for me. They're not even worth looking through, because they're all brand-new! I've tried buying 2 boxes now, and both were obvious hose jobs. The first was brand-new 2012 dimes (Loomis wrapped, too), and this time they were all 2009-Ps! Again, Loomis-wrapped as opposed to being Mint-wrapped, which might actually be worth something. Grumble.

I broke open two rolls, though, and these 2009s do look brand-new. Almost look like they've just been sitting in the box for 3 years. Even though they're Loomis MWRs, might they still be worth something numismatically? I'm guessing no, but I figured I'd ask. Also, is there a way to avoid this when ordering boxes of dimes? Is there something I should be saying? Some help would be appreciated, hehe :)

Luckily, dimes were an afterthought, though - I got all the halves I could find in my target area, and I found 5-40%, which was nice :) Also located a little hoard of SBAs and found a 1979 Wide Rim - my first! Considering there was only $90 or so in the SBAs, I consider myself pretty lucky there. So, all in all, not too bad a day, even with gas and the skunky dimes factored in, lol...

My mom had $30+ in SBAs in her safe deposit box and there were about 4 Near dates. :) My LCS won't buy them though, he said they are too common.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I think you could get
$10 a roll on Ebay plus shipping.

2009 dimes were very low mintage for modern coins.

May or may not be worth trouble and fees......

As far as getting new boxes, just luck of the draw. My banks let me check the holes in the box, if they all look new they usually grab me another box. You might try to find CWR as well. I've had pretty good luck with dime CWR.

Good luck!

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Mintage looks like about 46 million for D and 95 million for P. Sounds like a lot, but remember they crank out billions per year usually....

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must disagree. I Love FDR!--especially the silvers! He has netted me 6 rolls in over 2 years. Not a lot as compared to some, but some nonetheless. Keep trying dimes. They will produce.
apush

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I agree with APUSH BTW, dimes produce for me. I'm closing in on 1,000 silvers in past the years.

Slow and steady stream of silver!

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mintage looks like about 46 million for D and 95 million for P. Sounds like a lot, but remember they crank out billions per year usually....

Are you sure? Just 46 and 95 million, respectively? I'm looking in my little 2011 Red Book here, and while it doesn't show 2009 mintage (bummer), it DOES show every year beforehand, and the mintage figures for 2008-P are 391 million. Even more telling, 2007-P is over a billion! That is a BIG difference! I've got a whole $250 box of these buggers too, and if the two rolls I broke open are indicative of the rest, they're all practically new! Can I seriously make $250 profit off of these? That would rock =D

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with APUSH BTW, dimes produce for me. I'm closing in on 1,000 silvers in past the years.

Slow and steady stream of silver!

I hear you. I wasn't saying they don't produce, mind you - just that the two boxes I've gotten haven't even been worth looking through, since they were pretty obviously all the same date. That's all ;)

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure? Just 46 and 95 million, respectively? I'm looking in my little 2011 Red Book here, and while it doesn't show 2009 mintage (bummer), it DOES show every year beforehand, and the mintage figures for 2008-P are 391 million. Even more telling, 2007-P is over a billion! That is a BIG difference! I've got a whole $250 box of these buggers too, and if the two rolls I broke open are indicative of the rest, they're all practically new! Can I seriously make $250 profit off of these? That would rock =D
________________Philly________Denver_______Total__
Roosevelt Dime - 49,500,000 - 96,500,000 - 146,000,000

US Mint Coin Production Plunges In November 2009 | Coin News

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virgil,
Keep at it. I only average 2 per box. Slim pickens, but it does add up over time. It helps me get thru the pains of multiple halve skunk boxes.
apush

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I'm sure. You can check US mint website. It was due to great recession.

Pretty cool to get a solid box of them.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely hold onto a few rolls.. Whenever I get what I'm sure is a roll of fresh mints, I always put one or two aside to keep for awhile. What's the worst that could happen? As for trying to get some silver, I would recommend shopping around.. I was plagued with mint boxes of 2012 dimes for awhile.. You need to just hunt around and check out the local sources.. Try a different bank and then another and then another.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is worth holding onto a few rolls. 2009 was a low mintage and years down the road an unopened roll might be worth something. Also try selling a few on eBay. In 2010 I got a few rolls of shield pennies just to hang on to. In 2010 people were selling them on eBay for more than $2 a pop. Now some rolls are going for as high as $4. Even if the actual value does not go up you can always make a few bucks off the uneducated ebay collectors.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes a total waste of time? You've only searched two boxes. Report back after you've burned through 20.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had my best luck with CWR's of Dimes, try this a few times and see how it turns out for you, people find silver in them all the time. HH, Maverick.

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my best luck with CWR's of Dimes, try this a few times and see how it turns out for you, people find silver in them all the time. HH, Maverick.

I have been having great luck with dimes where Im at. I find one per $125ish I look through. yesterday I went through $450 of MWR and found 5. The week prior I found 4 in $450 worth. Must be a good area for me, halves on the other hand are terrible for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions