field detecting question

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
I have a question. Would detecting a farm field thats been farmed since the 1860's -1870's be worth detecing? I guess the house was built in 1874 there is an IH penny we found in the basement that was inserted in small cement block thats cemented to the floor. The house is my grandfathers which has been in the family since 1937. So far I detected about a 20 yard by 20 yard area and didnt even get a "hit". However the field is probably 500 yards long by 150-200 yards wide im guessing. Sound like a good place to go over seriously or just skim it? Also does anyone know any good techniques for field detecting? I am new with working on a field. Thanks for any and all opinions. S.M.

Upvote 0
sathmcnugent said:
The only thing i can say is that this farm is in Pennsylvania. Being that I am in Pa I think this would be in a way worth it since Pa is one of the first 13 colonies and the rich heritage that state has.

Ok now that it's decided what time should we all show up?

I mostly only do farm fields.

Take your time & cover the WHOLE area systematically. Even if you find nothing (which I don't think will happen) you will have learnt something (ie. not worth doing again & cross it off the list of permitted sites) Then on to the next project :)

S.M.,

This may provide some insight into your field hunting technique question. I recently did some mathematical simulations on the searching behavior of detectorists with the following parameters and assumptions. 1) There is a single coin in a 100 ft. x 100 ft. plot (shallow depth); 2) The detectorist can effectively search one square foot every 3 seconds. 3) The detectorist will not search perfectly, that is, he will search some squares multiple times. With random searching, you will take an average of 9.5 hours to find the coin. If you searched perfectly with 100% efficiency, it would take you on average, 8.3 hours. These results will vary greatly depending on the coil size, person who is swinging, soil conditions, etc. But, it gives you a rough idea of how many hours you need to invest in a given area of ground. - Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back