Fiji

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rfree said:
I am going to Fiji in September, has anyone detected the beaches there?

I just saw "Fiji" and had to checkout this thread. The Fiji Islands have been my dream vacation forever! Take losts of pics and have a great trip!

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bigscoop...Um???? You may want to find out before you go to Fiji if it allowable or not....The government there now is very unstable, and has a martial law mentality....I am well entrenched in the Fiji community, and I do partake in some Hindu customs and traditions....I know the Fijian people extremely well although I have not been to Fiji as of yet....You need to be very sensitive to the Fijian customs and traditions with respect to the Hindu religion....for example, they do believe in Sea Gods, as well as several other God's in the Hindu religion....The Hindu's are very wonderful, warm and friendly people....I wouldn't fear them, however, I would fear any government law enforcement personnel....I am sure if you contact any Fiji Consulate prior to going, they will advise you about any type of metal detecting in Fiji....I will tell you to watch your metal detector very carefully if you do bring it to Fiji, as with your other valuables....Also, because there are so many Islands, it will depend upon where you go....My suggestion to you is to detect where the tourists are because the Fiji people don't lose that many things at the beach....I do wish you well my friend, and good luck in Fiji...
SushiDog

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Although you didn't specifically ask about laws, in regard to your question, sushi-dog brings it up. He advises that you check with a consulate, or govt. personell, or whatever, to be sure. Try this instead: see if there are any dealers in the area (even if then neighboring states or regions) and simply ask them the real skinny. Because if there are dealers there, then .... uh.... someone must be using them :)

Because the problem with asking a lawyer or govt. official type consulate or whatever, is you can get your answer couched in terms of antiquities, or shipwreck salvor type laws, or exporting gold bars, or any other such morphings. Such has been the case, for example, when people have inquired ahead of time about various S. American and Mexico tourist spots. They get a "no". Imagine their surprise, when the show up at their tourist beach, and see that detectors are a common site on the beaches. And in fact, there are dealers in the country there. Doh!

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just talked to my neighbor about metal detecting in Fiji....he is from Fiji, and he pretty much validated what I said to you in my original post....The short answer to your question is: "NO!".....If you want to metal detect in Fiji, whatever you find belongs to the government 100%....and, no....there are no dealers in the area....the closest dealer would be in Australia....I have traveled and worked in the Marshall Islands, the Gilbert Islands (now Kiribiti) and the Caroline Islands, and of course been to many of the other islands in the North and South Pacific (not Fiji yet), and there is a sacred trust not to disturb relics from the WWII era at any time....I will tell you that some of the Fijian's do mine and pan for gold up in the jungle and mountain areas, but you better know someone who lives around there....Hey! I have a great idea for you! Why not go to Fiji and just have a good time and enjoy the customs, culture, people and traditions? My advice to you: Leave the metal detector home and stay out of jail....SushiDog

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sushi, try this next time you find a valuable old coin or diamond ring here in the USA: Walk into city hall, or county offices, or state capitol (depending on who's land you found the item on), go up to the receptionist desk, and ask them:

"Hello. I just found this valuable item on your land. Can I keep it and display it on my own mantle place, or stick it on ebay, to enrich myself with items that belong to all the tax-payers? And oh, this old coin might also have cultural value for the city museum. But it's ok if I keep it, right?"

See what they say. Afterall, you can't be too safe, so you better inquire!

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite my own personal feelings and opinions about the person (himself), I have a great fondness for all of the Islands in the North and South Pacific Oceans....my experience has mostly been scuba diving old wrecks (aircraft and ships), and I have even been involved with searching WWII caches of weapons left by the Japanese on Roi-Namur Island in the Marshall Islands...you can't access where I was, because at that time it was called the Kwajalein Missle Range and Test Site, and you needed at least a Secret clearance to work there....it is now called the Ronald Reagan Missle Range and Test Site, or Reagan Airfield...Also, you need to know there are tons (literally) of unexploded ordinance, and you can find many spent bullets from WWII by just walking on the reef at low tides....My intention here is to share my experience, learn from others, and most of all, uphold the integrity of the hobby itself...I hope the person who made the original post has learned something here, and perhaps it will make him a better metal detectorist....By all means, go to Fiji and have a great time with some of the most wonderful people in the world! (SushiDog)

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was some then you ate wy'll you went metaldetecting "fiji"..."fiji" :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions