What's new

Finally! 1999 Wide AM (Update: Graded MS-62!)

JasonB

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
750
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I found this today. Also got a 1998 Wide AM and some other keepers. This was my first 99 Wide AM. I think it's valued at around $150-$200. Thoughts on the value?

JasonB
 

Attachments

  • 99 together.webp
    99 together.webp
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,577
Upvote 0
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

Welcome to the club Jason! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

Nice Jason! You are the hero of the day :thumbsup:. Hope one day I can join the club ;D.....
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

What is a wide AM and how can u tell
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

I never understood how you penny guys find these things. I mean what do you have to do break out the ruler on every 99 to determine this? Congrats but I still can't even tell with the blown up pics.

Golden Silver
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

quiksilver said:
What is a wide AM and how can u tell

NoThe "Wide AM" and "Close AM" varieties stem from the use of Proof dies on circulation strike coins, and vice-versa. They refer to the first two letters of AMERICA and whether they are nearly touching or not.

You might want to also check this site out.

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/_Ty-2_Reverse_Cent_Varieties.htm
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

Thanks guys. I can 'em with the naked eye. I check with a loupe just to save some time though.

It feels so good, I've been on cloud nine today. One just sold on eBay for $210 today. You don't see many sold period. I've read there are only 350 or so known examples.
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

golden silver said:
I never understood how you penny guys find these things. I mean what do you have to do break out the ruler on every 99 to determine this? Congrats but I still can't even tell with the blown up pics.

Golden Silver

GS, if you know what you are looking for they are easy to spot. Have yet to find a 99 but have found several 98 and 00's. Just takes some patience to look through all the date range.
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

JasonB said:
Thanks guys. I can 'em with the naked eye. I check with a loupe just to save some time though.

It feels so good, I've been on cloud nine today. One just sold on eBay for $210 today. You don't see many sold period. I've read there are only 350 or so known examples.


You should be on cloud nine! Finding a penny worth $200 or so is the equivalent of finding a half worth about $10,000 :o....... Instead of just looking for just another silver edge, you are actually doing coin work, and should be proud :thumbsup:..
Oh, don't be in a big hurry to sell that thing, as it will only continue to increase in value...
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

Thanks! I agree with the value increasing. If these turn out to be as rare as some folks think, they could be pretty pricey. At any price, getting one at face value makes for a great bargain.

I also got a BU 1998 Wide AM. Much more common as I've found several of these but this one is super good condition.
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM

It looks as though there is a pretty good ding next to the IN of the motto on the obverse and some greenish contaminant to the right of the memorial on the reverse. I see AU-55 to -58 details, but with the problems visible and the spotting I would figure you'd get VF-XF money, depending on the buyer.

Very nice find and it should still bring a very nice premium. Wish I could stumble across 1...or 20. Not too many cause the price would come down.
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM (Update! Got it Graded!)

Okay, I got the coin graded by ANACS. Can anyone guess the grade? It's higher than I thought it would have been.
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM (update: got it graded)

EF-45 or AU-50?
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM (update: got it graded)

Congrats!

Thanks for posting the pictures for us newbies that were uncertain to the reference.

Cheers!
 
Re: Finally! 1999 Wide AM (update: got it graded)

ANACS graded it at MS 62! I just got their shipping notification. I'll post a pic of the slab when I get it in hand.
 
Nice grade! Mine graded AU 55 by PCGS. :icon_thumright:
HH
Gilbert
 
NIce find.
I for one wouldnt mind the picture right next to a regular penny since i can never seem to tell if i have found any errors.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom