FINALLY! A silver George! (Washington, that is!)

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Now I can hang up the detector for the year. (Well, at least for the holiday) :wink:

First and most importantly, I want to wish all of you a very happy Thanksgiving! I know I have many things to be thankful for, and T-Net and it's great members happens to be one of them!

Well, today was the day! I finally cornered George! ;D WC I were out in the woods again looking for the remains of an old railroad line that closed down in the early 1900's. I was swinging around in the woods and also along a well used crushed stone path. After about an hour or two of nothing but metal booze bottle caps, I got a signal right next to a big tree along the path. :) Funny, it wasn't as high on Smartfind as I thought it would be. :icon_scratch: I've had pennies & dimes indicate higher. That's what I was expecting when that quarter flopped down from under the root it was hiding behind. I've dug hundreds of clad quarters, so it was hard to believe that it was an actual silver. I didn't believe it wasn't clad until I could actually read the date.

I know that one measly silver Washington might seem like a puny find compared to some. I have 19 silvers this year, and have been lucky enough to get a Barber, an SLQ, A walking half, a Barber dime, several Mercs, buffalos, a V-Nickel, and a couple of Indians. It just seemed funny that the simple silver George was eluding me. Well, he didn't want to come peacefully. :( I told him we could do this the easy way, or the hard way - the choice was his. Just to prove my point, I made a serious face and gave him a little nick with my digger. >:( He saw the light.

I also got a '41 wheat, but after the George - who cares? :tongue3:

hOLE.jpg

hAND.jpg

George both small.jpg

Here's what's left of the old railroad and bridge. Watercolor really goes out of his way to learn the history of places! Thanks for the great hunt, Mark, and Happy Thanksgiving again to all you T-Netters!
Neil

rr bRIGDE fOOTINGS.jpg

Upvote 0
Had the same problem with war nickels, had a drought for over two years. Good stuff!

nice job on the silver washington quarter! Those are hard to find around here also! So far i've only found two silver dimes this year. Nice job on the silver! :thumbsup:

WOW that is a nice looking silver Washington Quarter. :thumbsup:

Nice find, that cleaned up really well. :thumbsup:

Congrats The picture of it coming out is great!

Great find bud!!! I'm glad you were able to cross ole George off of your list!!! You know, that area in the last pix was where Twistidd found his first Indian Head penny & MikeWaz found a 1920's merc but we walked around and got to the other side.

Congrats again on your first Silver George!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back