Finally closure on one of my strangest finds

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Some of you might remember a strange bronze delta-shaped pendant I dug up about 4 years ago. It was last discussed in this thread:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,245169.0.html

I wasn't planning on updating this, but Bob (Mirage) my hunting buddy, convinced me that some of you might be interested in what happened since I posted that thread when the pendant was featured in a magazine article.
I don't feel comfortable revealing too many details (based upon some of the expected "it CAN'T be of Minoan origin if you found it in Ohio" responses I got here) but to make a long story short, the pendant has recently been the subject of a 5 page thesis by a well-known Dutch researcher in ancient petroglyphs.
The Dutch reasearcher was able to date the item to 1690 BC.

Let's just say that I no longer own the pendant but I do have $1000.00 :icon_thumright:

Remember, an item, no matter how rare, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I am satisfied that the pendant will be in the hands of someone that appreciates it, and I will make good use of the extra funds.

As you were.

Upvote 1
:headbang:

Yep I remember that :o great find :notworthy:....... and the Grand eased the pain of letting it go :laughing7:

SS

Very nice! Would be cool to see the write-up in Ancient America about the pendant... Maybe some excerpts? Certainly was a fantastic find and an important discovery!!!
HH
-Whynot

whynot said:
Very nice! Would be cool to see the write-up in Ancient America about the pendant... Maybe some excerpts? Certainly was a fantastic find and an important discovery!!!
HH
-Whynot

I'll see if I can scan the article and get permission to post it here.
In a nutshell, there are a handfull of researchers who believe that the Minoans regularly made trips to N.America (N. Michigan) to mine copper and S. America to mine tin. There are remains of these mines in both places that date back 4000 years. Combined they made bronze.
There are known ancient petroglyphs along the Great Lakes corridor that depict large sailing vessels identical to those depicted in Crete. There have been a FEW other artifacts found in the Great Lakes area that also appear to be Minoan in Origin. On Crete, there are Minoan drawings depicting large sailing vessel journeys to the West that took on average 300 days for a round trip. They have also deciphered actual "manifests" detailing how many copper ingots were carried on a typical trip for one vessel. It is believed that as many as 25 trips were made each year. One ancient petroglyph in New York shows an identical large sailing ship (same style) to those depicted on Crete.
That's just a little bit of their ideas. The researches have ample other evidence that fits their theories about the ancient copper culture and it's links to N.America.

Anyways...for me the trip is over. I still have ample photos and now several documents to remember the find by.

I remember this topic. Thanks for the update. It's nice to know this historic artifact is in good hands.

I'm interested in reading the thesis. And I'll be watching for your appearance in the documentary on the History Channel.

DCMatt

Good deal Dan. Just think that could have been mine. But I would have stopped digging at about 10 inches. 8) Good thing you relied on your sophisticated Ace 250 to tell you to keep digging. :icon_thumleft:

theres more to history than whats in todays books :wink: :icon_thumright:

Mirage said:
Good deal Dan. Just think that could have been mine. But I would have stopped digging at about 10 inches. 8) Good thing you relied on your sophisticated Ace 250 to tell you to keep digging. :icon_thumleft:

It's funny you said that Bob. I told the Dutch researcher that it was lucky I was using a simple machine that didn't give me much data to go by, because I truly think that if I had hit that with my DFX, and was down even HALF as deep as that thing was, I would have given up....assuming it was a large trash target. But, because the ol' ACE250 kept going "ding ding" I kept going! It really was a shock when that pendant popped out of the side of that hole in the end.

I think this should be posted in American Indian Artifacts, or a link posted there. There are quite a few who might find this interesting. this is a hot topic "over there" Thanks,

naturegirl

Thanks for the update. I was quite disappointed with all the skeptics bashing your thread at the time. It has been proven time and time again that written history has been corrupted, rewritten, and is inconclusive in many ways. I sure hope nobody still believes in that Christopher Columbus crap anymore! It just goes to show how flawed the history books are.
I think that a $1,000 is a little on the shy side but as long as you're happy with that then who cares.
I would REALLY like to see more info on your find and I think there were other open-minded people as well here that would want to read more about it. This hits home as you NEVER know what you're gonna find and as far as our history goes, it's pretty much an open palate.
Thanks again,
Dave.

That is really cool. I'm glad you posted it. No offense to anyone but I've read several times where people have said something was a foot deep so they quit digging. I don't understand why you would give up. I regularly dig relics a foot or more deep. Maybe it's just me but I don't think it's a good idea to leave any signal you might think has a chance of being good.
Anyway that was a cool find and I'm glad you were able to get some positive info on it.

Gang, listen this man is completely on track. If you are not familiar with Michael A. Cremo, who wrote a book called,"FORBIDDEN ARCHEOLOGY", 828 pages of artifacts that are thousand of miles and sometimes millions of years out of place .Archaeologist are afraid to do other than try to debunk or no listen or examine the articles. This one of the most exciting books I've ever read. The Book costs $44.00 So look up his name or title. I assure you he will thrill you with this absolutely truthful book of out of place artifacts. Thanks for sharing this artifact.

vayank54 said:
That is really cool. I'm glad you posted it. No offense to anyone but I've read several times where people have said something was a foot deep so they quit digging. I don't understand why you would give up. I regularly dig relics a foot or more deep. Maybe it's just me but I don't think it's a good idea to leave any signal you might think has a chance of being good.
Anyway that was a cool find and I'm glad you were able to get some positive info on it.

In most areas I hunt, the topsoil layer isn't even 10" deep. I have NEVER run across an item that continued to sink into the clay layer beyond that. This item was found in an area of fill dirt that may go as deep as 4ft (it was used to fill in a drained pond when the school was built in the 1930s)

Also, in a LOT of places we hunt it's not really a good thing to go much beyond 8-10" because the size of the hole's opening has to be too large to have an easily closed flap and minimal surface damage. When we are back in the woods hunting an old cellarhole or such, the heavy equipment can be used and hole size is "whatever is needed to get the damn target out"

naturegirl said:
I think this should be posted in American Indian Artifacts, or a link posted there. There are quite a few who might find this interesting. this is a hot topic "over there" Thanks,

naturegirl

Be my guest! :D

OK. The Dutch researcher who wrote the recent paper on my find just gave me permission to post a link to the paper.

http://www.slideshare.net/rmdejonge/minoan-pendant

Go ahead and flame the guy, flame me...discount his theories and feel all warm in comfy knowing that you are well aware of what happened in N. America thousands of years ago...

Or...enjoy it with an open mind! :icon_farao:

plehbah said:
Does the dude have any more thousand dollar chunks he wants to part with?

I have some Minoan stuff, too!

I'm quite sure you have some "stuff" plehbah, but of what origin I can only speculate.

You are bliss. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back