Finally found a "big" point!

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, finally something different than the little woodland triangles I usually find... A HUGE and extremely thin something... Not sure what type it is yet but I wanted to share. Also, broken jasper triangle and perhaps an argillite orient fishtail or lackawaxen. Philly area.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds ! I would call the large one an argillite Susquehanna Broadspear. That is a really thin one, and it is amazing it is still intact. HH

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both really water worn - nice saves. Middle one looks like popular island. Agree on previous assessment of the larger one.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like basalt, is it? Very nice find!

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure it is some "broadspear" and I did find similar examples to the Susquehanna Broadspear. I think you're right. I don't think the middle one is poplar island (of which I've found a few.) Looks more like a lackawaxen point which seems to be common around Philly? Now as far as the lithic goes on the broadspear -- I have no idea. I tend to call just about all flat black stuff argillite simply because I don't know the difference, but it very well can be basalt. Not sure... I just can't believe it's not broken. It's super thin and found on a very rocky beach.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds .... I have a few of the same style and material that are the thinnest points Iv ever found .... I'm in Maryland so mostly likely same materials anywyas

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty damn impressive point.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess a repeat of what others have said, man that piece is nice and thin. A dandy for sure.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Glad to see you can still find artifacts up in your neck of the woods.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it laid flat for a long time to stay in that good of shape with no damage. Nice finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions