Finally found somethign REALLY good... 14k with diamonds (I hope) good! Need advice!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for your insight... I do realize that if I double my money on anything I buy I am better off... but I just can't get past that "what if I did this" thing. I am working on that... I am sure I am not the only one with this issue, I am doing mt best to get past it LOL!

Thank you agaoin for putting things in perspective!

Chukers
Buy yourself some silver,good hedge!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chuckers,

Traditionally the spread between silver and gold has been about 16 times....it's way out of whack these days at about 50 times or so....in other words silver is cheap relative to gold.....also at the rate the US is printing money odds are good the paper money will go down not up in value over time....just my humble opinion for what it's worth.

Regards + HH

Bill

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Also... I am finding that its hard for me to "let go" of the treasures I find... why is that? anyone else have this issue?

Chukers, I like to keep as much treasure as I can too. Getting a hold of some of this treasure at such a cheap price is too good to let go.

I sell some of my finds that are of lesser quality, and only when I have a specific purpose for the money, like increasing my bank roll, or buying something special. Otherwise, I keep the gold bought at cents per gram, etc.

Keeping garage sale jewelry is alot cheaper than buying precious metal bullion, too. I think that if shtf that a diamond and gold engagement ring might barter for alot more than just the gold scrap value then or jewelry store pawn price you get today.

HH, Jonathan

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chukers, I like to keep as much treasure as I can too. Getting a hold of some of this treasure at such a cheap price is too good to let go.

I sell some of my finds that are of lesser quality, and only when I have a specific purpose for the money, like increasing my bank roll, or buying something special. Otherwise, I keep the gold bought at cents per gram, etc.

Keeping garage sale jewelry is alot cheaper than buying precious metal bullion, too. I think that if shtf that a diamond and gold engagement ring might barter for alot more than just the gold scrap value then or jewelry store pawn price you get today.

HH, Jonathan

I sold the 10oz of silver I bought for $10 this weekend and treated myself to a beautiful lobster dinner. At the end of the day all of it is just money. Not worth all the hassle if you're not enjoying yourself along the way.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the verdict is in... YES they are real diamonds and he offered me $175.00 for the gold... the diamonds had no effect on the price.

It weighs 9.4 grams with the diamonds, so I'm guess about 9 grams of 14k gold and at current prices that should come to $290.00 so that puts him at the 55% of spot...
I am a little dissapointed at that price... and here is my problem...

I know its worth more than that esspecially since it has 5 small diamonds not chips but cut diamonds, yeah they are small but still diamonds. I suppose for some quick cash and considering what I paid for it I have done quite well... but I know I could get more... I hope I could... maybe I shouldn't be so greedy but this don't happen all that offen for me. I just want to make it count!

what do you think?

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold the 10oz of silver I bought for $10 this weekend and treated myself to a beautiful lobster dinner. At the end of the day all of it is just money. Not worth all the hassle if you're not enjoying yourself along the way.

you got 10ozs of silver for $10? WOW! great score!

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you got 10ozs of silver for $10? WOW! great score!

It was a good weekend for me. When I get a chance I will post a new thread w/ pics.

Jeweler's are only interested in diamonds over one karat. The problem is they really can't resell them for much. Now a 1.25kt stone they can put in a cheap setting, they can make a couple thousand dollars off of.

You still have answered the mystery question...How much did you pay for it?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far away is a town of any size. Here in the big city, I've found several places that payout 90% for 14k. Even other small towns in the area might have other places you can check. Now I've never used them, but there are also refineries you can send them off to. It makes me feel uncomfortable to do that, but some of the people here use them and could possibly refer you to a reputable one. You just have to put up with a snail mail delay, but it is another option.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a good weekend for me. When I get a chance I will post a new thread w/ pics.

Jeweler's are only interested in diamonds over one karat. The problem is they really can't resell them for much. Now a 1.25kt stone they can put in a cheap setting, they can make a couple thousand dollars off of.

You still have answered the mystery question...How much did you pay for it?

you all are going to laugh at that... I'm making such a fuss about what I could sell it for and when you hear what I bought it for you'll just smack me around and tell me to shut up LOL

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh thanks not sure how I missed it. Id do ebay, start it off at $299.97 and go from there, with the diamonds it may hit big

I have considered Ebay... but their fees drive me crazy... yeah I know its the price we pay for a million potiential people to see what we have for sale.... but it irks me how much they get not to mention the paypal fees!

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far away is a town of any size. Here in the big city, I've found several places that payout 90% for 14k. Even other small towns in the area might have other places you can check. Now I've never used them, but there are also refineries you can send them off to. It makes me feel uncomfortable to do that, but some of the people here use them and could possibly refer you to a reputable one. You just have to put up with a snail mail delay, but it is another option.

I have contacted a refinery in my area but they require an EIN or tax ID number... which I have but its just not in the jewlery industry. I am more afraid of the "We buy Gold" places because there are many that buy at such low prices, but I know I have the p[ower because I know what its worth... so I think I'll try some of the local classifieds first then maybe ebay then a "We buy Gold" place if it don't sell... its a nice piece and I'd much rather it go to someone that appreciates it rather than to just melt it down.

Chukers

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sold it on ebay and only got spot price for it, you would still be way ahead than what the jeweler offered you. Start the bid at spot and see what happens.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you all are going to laugh at that... I'm making such a fuss about what I could sell it for and when you hear what I bought it for you'll just smack me around and tell me to shut up LOL

Chukers

My guess is $5. Seems right for the size of the piece if the seller thought it was just costume jewelry. If you bought it for that price, it really doesn't matter if you sell it for $270 or $290. Take the money and buy your wife something nice for Christmas. Just sayin'

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes chuckers that is what i would do start it out at spot on Ebay.... And if it sells you made out ......If not you are not out any thing........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread