Finally found the dump... And pre-prohibition bottles!

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about every Thanksgiving I can remember of my 31 years on earth I've spent at my grandparents house in upstate New York. This year was no different, and as usual I went to grandmas prepared with a detector. Her house was built in 1875, and a family friend owns an old dairy farm at the end of the road. I've searched grandmas yard pretty hard, as well as the old pastures and burned down barn foundations. There's a creek bed running through the farm that's dry most of the time, but when it floods its a raging river. I've found tons of old glass and pottery pieces in the creek but I could never find the source. That finally change this past weekend!
I had high hopes of detecting while I was in New York, and I did squeeze a little bit in but only found a 64 Rosie. I was talking with my dads friend who owns the farm on Friday afternoon and I asked him if he knew where the dump was. Turns out he did, and he gave me pretty good directions for finding it. I've searched the creek for the past few years looking for signs of a dump, and it turns out the last time I had looked I was pretty close. At the very corner of the property there is a steep hill next to the creek that goes up to a road. People have dumped stuff off the road for years, but surprisingly there wasn't too much modern trash, probably 1960's and earlier. There were probably 5 or 6 cars from the 50's, and car parts including an engine block in the middle of the creek bed. I walked up a ravine to get to the road, and just as I was getting towards the top of the hill I found a beer bottle on the ground. At first I thought it was modern, but then I realized it had embossing! I picked it up and could tell by the weight it was old. It read "chevans & sons ale". The bottom has 772 stamped on it. The next bottle I found was sucking out of the side of the small drainage ravine that I was walking up. I pulled it out and it was a perfect square panel medicine! A slick but I'll take it! I brushed some leaves away and could see plenty of broken glass mixed in with the dark loose dirt and white ash. Next I found the small white glazed vessel, I'm thinking its possibly an ink. The bottom is marked 817 with a Roman numeral II. It's engraved, not painted. Any help with that would be great! Unfortunately the back is chiped, but it still displays well! Then I found the other beer, which has great embossing. It's marked "F.M. Bakers bottling works Little Falls, ny." Then I found the little bottle, the bottom is marked "Dr Bradley & Son ny". I couldn't believe it, I've been looking for this dump for years and here I was digging the the mother load! Unfortunately time was not on my side, as the sun was setting fast. I decided to pull one more bottle and then leave. I found the beautiful aqua colored flask and decided that was it. I wasn't quite sure what I had just found on the walk back. I had just gone out to scout it, I wasn't at all prepared to dig. I wish I had time to get back out but unfortunately had to come back home on Sunday and get back to real life. Now I'm dying to get back up there in the spring! Until then I can only dream of when else might be buried there waiting for me. Thanks for looking!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! I think I would have delayed my departure! Lol!

OP
OP
plugcutter84

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find a few cans from about the 60's probably, nothing local or too unique but they were in surprisingly good shape for being exposed to the elements. Believe me it hurt to have to leave! When I finally found where the bottles were it was about 4:30 Saturday night and I was leaving at 7 the next morning. I'm definitely looking forward to my next trip to grandmas!

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that sounds like a great place. You already found some really cool bottles, who knows what's still there. Can't wait to see what else you find next! Oh and if you go back soon, can you take pictures of the cars?

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CANT BEAT OLE BOTTLE FINDS .........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread