Finally got a chance to hunt, Artifacts and Silver!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With record snowfall in the Sierras in December and freezing temps, there's been no way to get out at all. Watching the weather closely I spied a couple of days with decent temps. With the snow still stubbornly blanketing everything in Western Nevada, I decided to pack up and drive east a ways where the ground was clear. Had to drive quite a ways, so did an over-nighter.

The first place I went to on Wednesday is an old ranch permission I haven't been to for a long time. The ground was clear, but pretty muddy. Walking was difficult and driving on the dirt roads was tough too. I didn't want to rut up the roads, so I set out on foot. The first thing I came across was an odd looking thing sticking out of the ground that I thought was an antler tine. Nope, turned out to be a 'plummet', at least that's what we call them out here. Unfortunately, the proximal end of it was broke off. They typically have a raised ring on the proximal end to keep the cordage from slipping off.
plummet1.png
plummet2.png

The only other artifacts I found were a little dinged eastgate arrowhead, a dentalium shell bead (west coast wampum) and an old shell button. All that slogging across the muddy ground was slow going and I didn't have much time to search once I got out there.
5jan2022 hunt1.jpeg
5jan2022 hunt2.jpeg

The next day, Thursday, I decided to get out the metal detector. I talked to an old guy(92) that lives in a small nearby town that told me where the old school house was when he was just a boy. I located the spot, but it had been pretty disturbed and seemed to be covered with fill. The old guy told me the kids all tied up their horses right next to the road, so that's where I concentrated. Found a couple of wheats, both 1945, so I was hopeful of a silver. Then I get this banging 95 on the Simplex! It wasn't a coin, but a concho. I could tell it was silver by the color. I also found a marble by eyeball, half of a little silver disk of some sort, and a strange round thing made of copper or brass.
6jan2022 hunt1.jpeg
6jan2022 hunt2.jpeg

The concho cleaned up pretty nice.
concho1.jpeg
concho2.jpeg

Driving towards home, I noticed a park in a town along the way and figured I had about an hour of day light left to look so I stopped. Not much to show for my efforts: $1.76 in clad, a rotten old timer pocket knife and a junk ring. But, it was sure nice to get out finally!

Thanks for lookin'!
6jan2022 hunt3.jpeg

Upvote 33

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Nice finds.

Plummets are not a common find these days.

I found a nice hematite plummet back in the very early 80s. over 50 years of artifacting I have only found that one plummet.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool finds. I enjoy the designs on silver pieces like that.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.

Plummets are not a common find these days.

I found a nice hematite plummet back in the very early 80s. over 50 years of artifacting I have only found that one plummet.
I've got 11 broken ones now after 50+ years of hunting, very elusive find for sure!

Reactions: Fat

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With record snowfall in the Sierras in December and freezing temps, there's been no way to get out at all. Watching the weather closely I spied a couple of days with decent temps. With the snow still stubbornly blanketing everything in Western Nevada, I decided to pack up and drive east a ways where the ground was clear. Had to drive quite a ways, so did an over-nighter.

The first place I went to on Wednesday is an old ranch permission I haven't been to for a long time. The ground was clear, but pretty muddy. Walking was difficult and driving on the dirt roads was tough too. I didn't want to rut up the roads, so I set out on foot. The first thing I came across was an odd looking thing sticking out of the ground that I thought was an antler tine. Nope, turned out to be a 'plummet', at least that's what we call them out here. Unfortunately, the proximal end of it was broke off. They typically have a raised ring on the proximal end to keep the cordage from slipping off.
View attachment 2001743 View attachment 2001744

The only other artifacts I found were a little dinged eastgate arrowhead, a dentalium shell bead (west coast wampum) and an old shell button. All that slogging across the muddy ground was slow going and I didn't have much time to search once I got out there.
View attachment 2001754 View attachment 2001755

The next day, Thursday, I decided to get out the metal detector. I talked to an old guy(92) that lives in a small nearby town that told me where the old school house was when he was just a boy. I located the spot, but it had been pretty disturbed and seemed to be covered with fill. The old guy told me the kids all tied up their horses right next to the road, so that's where I concentrated. Found a couple of wheats, both 1945, so I was hopeful of a silver. Then I get this banging 95 on the Simplex! It wasn't a coin, but a concho. I could tell it was silver by the color. I also found a marble by eyeball, half of a little silver disk of some sort, and a strange round thing made of copper or brass.
View attachment 2001745 View attachment 2001746

View attachment 2001747 View attachment 2001748

Driving towards home, I noticed a park in a town along the way and figured I had about an hour of day light left to look so I stopped. Not much to show for my efforts: $1.76 in clad, a rotten old timer pocket knife and a junk ring. But, it was sure nice to get out finally!

Thanks for lookin'!
View attachment 2001758
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver find

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2001743 View attachment 2001744

View attachment 2001754 View attachment 2001755

View attachment 2001745 View attachment 2001746

View attachment 2001747 View attachment 2001748

Thanks for lookin'!
View attachment 2001758
very cool finds, that silver cleaned up nicely

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good that you got out and had some luck to boot.
Nice plummet, though the silver wins the day, it cleaned up nicely.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE !!!congratulations

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a great short day hunt to me! The concho is really cool. Nice finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread