JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after using the original, then the Whites TRX I can say that I am very happy with it. It looks like they have made the on/off switch better meaning it is not a click on but more of a program on switch. Hard to explane what I mean.. I had a issue with my original holding on because it would not latch.. Also it does not false when you push the tip now. So so far it seems to work perfect. Like it much Better than the whites as well.

Hope it helps if you have been considering one..:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the review. I have one on pre-order. The reason I am getting it is mostly to check out it's usefulness in prospecting.ie sniping,crevicing,drifting. How would you suppose it will do on small gold pickers. Like the size of rice? Are my hopes too high? I do some coin shooting too, so I will still be glad to have it even if it is not suited for prospecting.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just been running it in level 2 and yesterday I dug up something pretty small like the size of rice. Don't know what it was but it was small. The at pro pointer was picking it up. It was not coming in like a full signal but I imagine if you turned up the sensitivity it would pick it up even stronger.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am afraid to use mine, cuz its so shiney and new! My original propointer I have beat the snot out of, and it still works like new. I told my bride that I HAD to get it for my water hunting.

Now all I gotta do is explain the need for waterproof headphones, a scoop, waders/wetsuit, watershoes, snorkel...ugh.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well after using the original, then the Whites TRX I can say that I am very happy with it. It looks like they have made the on/off switch better meaning it is not a click on but more of a program on switch. Hard to explane what I mean.. I had a issue with my original holding on because it would not latch.. Also it does not false when you push the tip now. So so far it seems to work perfect. Like it much Better than the whites as well.

Hope it helps if you have been considering one..:thumbsup:

What do you like better about it than the White's?

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm loving the crap out of my new AT. The new AT is pretty sensitive to small gold where my old pro-pointer won't even beep on the really small nuggets. It will sound off at about 1 1/2 inches on the most sensitive setting and approximately 3/4 on the middle setting on my sample nugget. Well worth the money in my opinion but will keep the old pro-pointer as a backup or for the wife when she goes with me.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you like better about it than the White's?

I had the TRX, and currently have the Carrot. They both have the ratcheting sensitivity, which I find very helpful. I found the TRX was not very loud, and did not vibrate as much. Most importantly, the build quality on the Carrot seems much more beefy than the TRX. It just feels more solid. The button is also much better on the Carrot. The TRX and the old Pro-Pointer both have a soft rubber button that is susceptible to pulling out or tearing. The Carrot button is much more solid and feels secure. Finally, from what I remember, messing with the sensitivity settings on the TRX was weird. I found the Carrot's settings quick and easy to learn.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am afraid to use mine, cuz its so shiney and new! My original propointer I have beat the snot out of, and it still works like new. I told my bride that I HAD to get it for my water hunting.

Now all I gotta do is explain the need for waterproof headphones, a scoop, waders/wetsuit, watershoes, snorkel...ugh.

Haha, sounds exactly like my household.

Good luck.

Vdubguy

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i read in another thread about a trick to improve sensitivity where you turn it on, move a copper coin close to the coil until i beeps, then back it off until its silent, and tape the coin in that spot. i guess the idea is to minimize the dead zone in the detector before it triggers, so its already primed for just the smallest additional detection.

has anyone done this with the AT yet?

also, i'm planning to buy one of these vs. a full size MD since its small, light and cheap and i figure easier for hiking and scrambling over river bank and rocks.

i was thinking of mounting it on the end of a stick so i can use it to sweep the ground like a normal MD too. anyone tried that?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was thinking of mounting it on the end of a stick so i can use it to sweep the ground like a normal MD too. anyone tried that?

That sounds like trying to spear a fish with a dull needle. Pinpointers provide such small coverage, you will either miss a ton of targets or not cover much ground. Not to mention that the depth is not impressive for that usage. Spend an extra $50 and get yourself a compact Go Find 20 and a backpack.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I had the TRX, and currently have the Carrot. They both have the ratcheting sensitivity, which I find very helpful. I found the TRX was not very loud, and did not vibrate as much. Most importantly, the build quality on the Carrot seems much more beefy than the TRX. It just feels more solid. The button is also much better on the Carrot. The TRX and the old Pro-Pointer both have a soft rubber button that is susceptible to pulling out or tearing. The Carrot button is much more solid and feels secure. Finally, from what I remember, messing with the sensitivity settings on the TRX was weird. I found the Carrot's settings quick and easy to learn.

I don't really understand peeps needing lowering the settings manually on either PPr. It's a simple quick press of the button to de-sensitize during a probe in the hole anyway. It then resets to the original setting after a power reset. That's why I run my TRX at full setting, and I would certainly run this new Garretts at peak since it can't break more than 2.5" anyway.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really understand peeps needing lowering the settings manually on either PPr. It's a simple quick press of the button to de-sensitize during a probe in the hole anyway. It then resets to the original setting after a power reset. That's why I run my TRX at full setting, and I would certainly run this new Garretts at peak since it can't break more than 2.5" anyway.

The TRX needs to be reset once the sensitivity is ratcheted down? I guess I don't remember that. The Carrot just needs a simple button press while away from any metal.

I imagine there are certain ground conditions that might make running a pinpointer at max sensitivity a little troublesome. I've been on a few properties that were littered with big iron, which made pinpointing confusing until I ran the TRX on low. It was less annoying than having to keep ratcheting in every hole.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
The TRX needs to be reset once the sensitivity is ratcheted down? I guess I don't remember that. The Carrot just needs a simple button press while away from any metal.

I imagine there are certain ground conditions that might make running a pinpointer at max sensitivity a little troublesome. I've been on a few properties that were littered with big iron, which made pinpointing confusing until I ran the TRX on low. It was less annoying than having to keep ratcheting in every hole.

"The TRX needs to be reset once the sensitivity is ratcheted down? I guess I don't remember that. The Carrot just needs a simple button press while away from any metal."

Same operationn with the TRX.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The TRX needs to be reset once the sensitivity is ratcheted down? I guess I don't remember that. The Carrot just needs a simple button press while away from any metal."

Same operationn with the TRX.

I thought so. I read "power reset" as turning it off and then back on.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my Garrett AT pinpointer and I'm impressed! Everything works as advertised and it looks like it will stand up to my 'dumb thumbs'. I got a key-back key reel to attach it to my belt. With my poor hearing I doubt if I could hear the 'lost' alarm. Can't wait to try it out.
Now, if the storms would move out for one afternoon...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions