FINALLY!!! I Found a Dang Silver Coin Plus a few Other Items.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I've dug up some great stuff this year but I've been banging my head against a wall trying to find one measly silver coin. I've been digging up 200 plus year old coins at 9-10" yet no silver whatsoever.

So yesterday it FINALLY happened. I went to an old spot in the woods that I've never hunted before, on a steep hillside near some huge rocks where people have been drinking, partying and just hanging out for the last 100 years or so. I got a nice high hit and about 6 inches down under a HUGE tree root, I dug up a Rosie.

First Silver of 2015 Sept. 20 001.JPG First Silver of 2015 Sept. 20 002.JPG

Unfortunately I scratched the front a bit on account of it's location under that giant root but I don't even care. I'm just glad I found it. I almost gave up but kept telling myself "it just might be some silver". Then after much effort, it literally rolled out and down the hill a couple of feet.

I wasn't even sure it was silver at first because silver is apparently pretty rare in these parts. I put on my glasses and checked the date and it turned out to be a '64. I guess I just made it..

I also found an 1875 IH in horrible shape and two Wheaties.

First Silver of 2015 Sept. 20 003.JPG

First Silver of 2015 Sept. 20 004.JPG

I'm not real hopeful that this one will ever look good but it's still and Indian. The soil in my area is extremely unkind to copper.

And last but not least, a shot of the IH with the two Wheaties.

First Silver of 2015 Sept. 20 005.JPG

I have a few other recent finds I'll try and post later. My WIFI is out and this is a quickie post at a public hot spot.
But anyway, I can at least say I've found a silver coin this year. Hopefully there are some more around to be had before the cold sets in.

I honestly believe that people in my area were very poor back in the day and really went out their way not to lose money.

I know for a fact that many of the quarry workers where I grew up (including my own Grandfather) didn't even get paid fully in money right up into the early 1940's. They received scrip to be used only at the company store, like the old Tennessee Ernie Ford song, "Sixteen Tons" talks about. It was very real for many hard working people.

Losing a silver coin to them was like us losing a 10 or 20 dollar bill.

So anyway, there it is; better late than never I guess.
Thanks for looking and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 16

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the silver and IHP. Maybe since you broke the ice you'll have a silver streak now.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ver nice! Suprised there isnt more silvers there for you. I find tons of silver but am lucky if i pull an IH and if i do its typically 1900s

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the silver and IHP. Maybe since you broke the ice you'll have a silver streak now.

I sure hope so. I was beginning to wonder......

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... I almost gave up but kept telling myself "it just might be some silver". Then after much effort, it literally rolled out and down the hill a couple of feet.....

Nice job! Sounds like you have a "professional grade, hider". This coin even tried to make a break for it and run down the hill to get back into hiding!
WTG!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got to watch out when silver starts rolling down the hill on you, now you will be covered up in silver coins......

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY 424 I SEE ROSE IS STILL FOLLOWING THEM INJUNS AROUND . NICE SILBER ....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on ending your silver drought, like you said, you just made it with that 1964. :occasion14: I always like to see an IHP in the hole.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great feeling to locate your first silver coin.Now go and find more and find some of that company scrip,those are fun to find too.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
NIce save on the Silver!! Very clean..

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice group of finds! good job on the silver!!!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great feeling to locate your first silver coin.Now go and find more and find some of that company scrip,those are fun to find too.

Thanks.

This isn't my first silver coin; just the first silver coin this year. I even went to my best silver spot back in August and came up silverless. It's just one of those things.

Now that the curse has been broken I'm hoping more will begin to show up.

Last edited:

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs! Congrats on that illusive silver!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it ALL happens in waves for me.Your tide is starting to come in.QUICK...learn to surf,silver surfer !!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it ALL happens in waves for me.Your tide is starting to come in.QUICK...learn to surf,silver surfer !!!:occasion14:

Thanks; I shall!!

Well, I wouldn't consider this a wave just yet but it's a nice ripple that I'll happily take.
We shall see.

But it's just been crazy. I've dug some OLD coins this year as well as countless pre 1964 US coins. It just seems like those dimes and quarters have just been really elusive this year. I found 7 last year.

Then again, I've gotten some really nice gold and silver jewelry this year including a HUGE gold ring. I'll take that any time and I'm certainly not complaining at all. I have thoroughly enjoyed every hunt this year. I just kinda' expected to hit a little bit more silver than I have this year.

I was using BH machines most of last year and found some nice silver coins. I figured my Delta would sniff out even more than my older detectors did. Then again, location IS everything in this hobby. I honestly need to find some more silver producing spots.

Of course, everything can change tomorrow and anything at all can show up (or not). You're absolutely right; these things DO tend to come in waves in this hobby. I've seen it over and over and the year isn't over yet. I plan to be out there diggin' until it's too cold to stand it anymore. I LOATHE cold weather but if there's ONE thing that'll get me out in it; it's hunting treasure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions