Finally some silver in Georgia

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
O.K I have not posted anything in awhile and this is not anything too special, but it is my first silver in Georgia. I moved out here in June and have not had much time to hunt . I've been hunting probably a dozen times since I have been here and have not even found a wheat penny. So I got a lead about this old church that has some woods behind it. So I hit it for a couple hours and this is what I found. 1907-0 barber dime, 1890 IH, 1911 wheatie, a couple flat buttons (I think one is silver) and a few bullets along with a dozen shotgun shells and other assorted junk.

Attachments

• HPIM2293.JPG
    HPIM2293.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 704
  • HPIM2294.JPG
    HPIM2294.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 708
  • HPIM2296.JPG
    HPIM2296.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 710
Upvote 0
Nice work JSU. If those finds are not anything special, I can hardly wait until you have a special outing! For me, any trip that includes a barber OR IH is a great trip. Were your finds in the woods behind the church?

Thank you all for the kind words. I did hunt the woods, I had to. I am not sure how old the church is, but looking at some of the headstones I'd say 1870's or 80's. The graves are everywhere there is no spot on the actual church yard that there is not one. Now don`t get me wrong I was not hunting the graveyard, behind the church there are woods and a steep hill that goes down about 500 yards to the river. So I looked around for awhile on top of the hill in the woods and found that barber. I then started looking for paths down to the river, I found one and searched it as I went down. The pennies were on that path, the IH was on top of the ground! I got a shallow zinc signal on my MXT and kicked the leaves back (not really expecting much) and there it was. I guess there is suppose to be a couple rock foundations down the river somewhere. The search is on.

Not anything too special my foot.

I have been hunting for 9 years & can't buy a Barber dime. I have found 3 Bust coins, ,4 Barber Qtrs, 4 Standing Lib Qtrs, 6 Seated coins plus too many other nice coins to mention. I found a US cartridge plate. I can't find a Barber dime. That one is high on my list. Nice hunt, congratulations.

Hi there great history of finds. That barber alone is well worth a few hours of hunting. You done GREAT.

Nice finds!!! Georgia is not the most conducive place for old coins, and it's tough to come up with any nice Barbers!

Slingshot said:
Nice finds!!! Georgia is not the most conducive place for old coins, and it's tough to come up with any nice Barbers!

I agree.
Newt

jsu said:
O.K I have not posted anything in awhile and this is not anything too special, but it is my first silver in Georgia. I moved out here in June and have not had much time to hunt . I've been hunting probably a dozen times since I have been here and have not even found a wheat penny. So I got a lead about this old church that has some woods behind it. So I hit it for a couple hours and this is what I found. 1907-0 barber dime, 1890 IH, 1911 wheatie, a couple flat buttons (I think one is silver) and a few bullets along with a dozen shotgun shells and other assorted junk.

Nothing too special? Man .. I think just getting out is special .. any rewards are Extra special..Nice finds!

Awesome! I've been hunting Ga for years now, and only have 5 barbers and ZERO flat buttons. I'd say you're doing great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back