Finally, The Chicken Hawk (Eagle) Shows Its Face. MY FIRST GW BUTTON!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with a couple buddies today for a little while. We hiked to a site in the woods that we found last year but were unable to hunt. Strangely, although this site was a ways into the woods there was just nothing there to be found. A few shotgun slugs and a couple of nails was all that surfaced. On the way back to the truck we came across a second foundation and hunted that one for a while. My first signal was a 12-47 screamer on my E-Trac. Turned out to be a colonial shoe buckle (minus the tongue and chape of course) but it made for a good first find. Pulled out a solid brass finial of some sort after that...rang up just as high as the shoe buckle on my detector. The last keeper of the day was a flat button. Didn't take a picture of it fresh out of the hole because at that point I had no idea what I had yet. Anybody who has detected for a while knows that the large flat buttons at older sites have a (very) small chance of being George Washington Inaugural buttons. Of course I've been saying that same thing to myself for years and years now but still haven't found one.......until today. Washed the button off a little in a nearby puddle and there she was just a pretty as can be..... The Eagle with the shield. Took a couple more pics of it when I got home. Unfortunately, its missing the shank. It's pretty beat up but I'll take it....Lol.

004.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG

Here's the buckle.....

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Today's finds..... sparse, but satisfying.

006.JPG

Upvote 23
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GW came out nice. Congrats on today's find. Now I need to find one. Funny, I said when you were washing it off, the chicken hawk won't show up no matter how much you want it. Guess I was wrong.
I was amazed. I'm sure you could tell by the look on my face when I was cleaning it off what I had. Been waiting a while for this one. Now you know how I felt when you found that Fugio.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here I go out all day alone, and come back home with nothing to show .Evolution goes out and makes a great find ,its a an Inaugural Washington Button and posts it and makes me cry,nice indeed,vanzutphen

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lmfao ... a chicken hawks face heh , ya can't put no lipstick on that buzzard :laughing7: still wish I found it :hello2:

dawg

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a great find! Made me think of when I found mine. My brother and I had hunted a spot and I came home with around 20 flat buttons. About five was the big "dandy" button types and I jokingly told my brother what if all those were GW buttons. When I got home and cleaned everything up, the last one I cleaned off in the sink ended up being a GW. When you washed yours off and it revealed itself made me think about mine. Days like that are priceless.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and even better find! Looking forward to learning more details on this one. I think it deserves to be up on the banner and will be putting my vote in after posting this! Congrats on a fantastic find!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and even better find! Looking forward to learning more details on this one. I think it deserves to be up on the banner and will be putting my vote in after posting this! Congrats on a fantastic find!
Thanks for the reply Erik. I sent an email to a GW button expert with questions about rarity, possible value, restoration (not that there's much that can be done to this...she's pretty beat up. But it could probably be straightened a bit.) Also so he could document it for his records. When I get a reply I'll post an update at the end of this post. I read several things on the internet about the GW buttons. Some of the numbers of known examples are a bit contradictory. I'm really not sure what the actual number is. I'm sure there are a few out there that were dug and never posted anywhere as well.

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I dug a similar Eagle w/Star variety many years ago.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always love seeing these GW buttons posted. That is a landmark find, congrats!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! Great GW button, what a find congratulations!!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
How cool is that? One of the things on just about every metal detector's wish list. A truly historic and prideful relic our country's father! Good ole George Washington!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread