🥇 BANNER Find of a lifetime! Charleston Slave Tag

newnan76

Apr 20, 2007
Tampa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites DFX, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excalibur II
Haven't been on in a while but figured this was worthy of a post! Got off work with the intention of digging some bottles but that didn't work out so I went to plan B. Went by a site I've found some decent relics and coins at. Wasn't going to detect this spot again and almost wrote it off but they had scraped a lil more dirt so decided to go ahead and beep a lil and see what comes up. Well not even 10 minutes in and my Deus rang a sweet sound. Dug about 1 inch and out popped this square piece of metal and didn't think much of it until I rubbed a lil dirt off and saw a bit of "Charleston" and "Servant" and "1818" at this point I was just in shock, which quickly turned to "OMG" I can't believe what I just found!!!!! An 1818 Charleston Servant Slave Tag. Life doesn't get much better ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465669886.120145.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465669958.811384.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465669983.048017.jpg

Upvote 73

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW. That's one helluva great find.
It really makes you think too. Imagine being tagged like a dog or a horse.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on digging such an important piece of American history, that's an amazing find

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find! my banner vote is in.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one sweet find go gentle on any attempt at cleaning....it's an important part of US history which deserves to be treated properly.

Regards + HH

Bill

Agreed, it will clean up good. Although I've never had anything professionally cleaned, this is one that I would advise you consider.

GREAT FIND!

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as being a sad time in in the age of man you must be in a closet.slavery is still very much alive and thriving today.wake up and get over yourself.no one brought slavery to america but the black man.he was the first to start slavery here,get over it.

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! The history with those pieces give me chills to think about.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
as far as being a sad time in in the age of man you must be in a closet.slavery is still very much alive and thriving today.wake up and get over yourself.no one brought slavery to america but the black man.he was the first to start slavery here,get over it.
Its nice to see that I am not alone in reading history and learning the back story's in it.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found in Charleston. Moved up here last year haven't changed my profile yet.

Man, Oh man. That IS an early one, and just spectacular. Outstanding preservation of an incredible piece of history. Yeah, it represents a time of tragedy, but in that time, it was the status quo. No less devastating, but to preserve that now? Ultra cool.

OP
OP
newnan76

newnan76

Apr 20, 2007
Tampa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites DFX, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excalibur II
Thanks everyone for the banner votes and kind words. Got some of the dirt off very carefully.Still some crusty stuff on it but not going to try and get that off. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465743446.001220.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465743468.917439.jpg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, what an awesome piece of history. congrats!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose it would have pleased some of you better if it had been worded "the age of the Americas" but truth is slavery has been a terrible ingredient of man since the beginning as least as far back as the Jews enslavement to Egypt, the Spanish explorers towards the Natives here in America and yes the list could go on and on and does exist even today in many forms. Without pointing fingers at Egyptians,Spaniards,Plantation owners or even the "black man"you mention, it is a sad idea that ANY person at all has had to be owned by another human whether you were one who was hired out wearing a tag for Identification or whether you are a child working in a sweat shop for pennies. The problem with this whole idea of who started it all, really amounts to skating around the issue,thinking that it was not a travesty at all but just a finger pointing session that ignores responsibility whether you are white,black or whatever color your skin is.I am sure that all of our ancestors at one time may have had the ideology that slavery was just a fact of life and acceptable. I would hope that for most of us, we can begin to see the need to not tolerate such views...and I am not a black guy and you probably are not either...thus your viewpoint.

Last edited:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa...bringing the conversation back on target...that is the penultimate relic find! Congrats for saving a very rare piece of American history!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread