What's new

Finding old privies....

Jost1308

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2008
Messages
31
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
My house was built in the late 1800's and it is an old farm house. I have been trying to research it lately but have mostly come up empty. But anyways, to my question, does anyone have any idea on how to find out if there was an outhouse once on the property? and if so where should I start looking? any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
 
Well, I'm certaintly not an expert on this, (Or anything else). But we always look for a slight depression in the ground, usually about 4'-5' square behind the house you are detecting. Good Luck
 
johnnycat said:
Well, I'm certaintly not an expert on this, (Or anything else). But we always look for a slight depression in the ground, usually about 4'-5' square behind the house you are detecting. Good Luck

Yep...can see them plain as day here. Yards are smaller than yours probably but just keep in mind, they won't want to walk far to go to the bathroom...it won't be too far from the house.

Al
 
Thanks for the advice! I've looked a few times and have come up with nothing....I've tried MDing close to the house to see if I could come up with something but no luck. I've found several old dumps in the woods so I'm hoping to eventually come across the privy.
 
In terms of tools what you need...is a probe.

In cities, they were usually on the back property line. In the country--they could have been just about anywhere. But in rural areas, most trash was tossed down the hill rather than into the privy. So if you're after old bottles, then a rural privy won't generally be as good.


But yes, a 3 foot long probe is what you need.



Regards,



BuckleBoy
 
Maybe you should be looking for a small well fertilized patch downwind of the back door. :wink:
 
Look for where the green is much greener then the rest of the yard. That will be a good sign of where it was...Matt
 
My family bought the house in the 1960's and it has been remodeled since then. I've asked my dad what remodeling has taken place but he says that he was too little and really can't recall. Both my grandparents have passed away since then so I'm not exactly sure where the back door would have been. I have probed a few spots in the yard but have had no luck and there is no indication in the yard as to where the outhouse may have been so I probe on kinda a guess and check basis. lol We own approximatly 200 acres and I have found plenty of dumps in the woods so I'm really not interested in digging bottles, I'm just interested in the overall idea of privy digging and figured I would try starting in my own backyard :D But anyways, thanks to everyone for their advice, I really appreciate it! Now I just have to wait for this snow to disappear before I can get out hunting!
 
Real de Tayopa said:
HI LUV, is this what you are looking for?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Real de Tayopa,

That's exactly what I'm looking for! :D Now I just need to know where to find it!
 
Snow??? what snow...

Isn't this the spring thaw?

Oh, that's right...temperature has plummeted again and now I have a monster iceburg in front of my house.

Al
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1798.webp
    DSCF1798.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 346
deepskyal said:
Snow??? what snow...

Isn't this the spring thaw?

Oh, that's right...temperature has plummeted again and now I have a monster iceburg in front of my house.

Al

Lol.....be careful with that Al! Hopefully this awful weather will be gone soon and we can all get out hunting! ;D
 
HI LUV: That is our deluxe two seat outhouse up at my Tayopa mine. So far it has always --to my knowledge - been used simultaneously by only the same gender.

Don Jose de La Mancha
 
Jost1308 said:
My house was built in the late 1800's and it is an old farm house. I have been trying to research it lately but have mostly come up empty. But anyways, to my question, does anyone have any idea on how to find out if there was an outhouse once on the property? and if so where should I start looking? any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

If you can find a Sandborne map, now named Sanborn map of the property it will show where the outhouse was located.
Try this link: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/sanborn.html
 
deepskyal said:
Snow??? what snow...

Isn't this the spring thaw?

Oh, that's right...temperature has plummeted again and now I have a monster iceburg in front of my house.

Al
Yeah, but you got a horse in the race this weekend in Tampa.
 
Most folks would put their second outhouse behind the home and in a place where it would be downwind in summertime. Got an aerial view of your property? If you do, post it and let us take a shot at it! I found one of the outhouses at a family farm because it had been covered by a big piece of steel. Get any real large hits?

Also look for what may have been a herb or other garden and hit it meticulously!
 
Here is a photo of the property, sorry it is blurry, it's the best one I could get. The first photo is the original photo, the second is where I have marked some of the spots in the yard.

The red sqare is an addition that was added in the late 80s
The purple square is an addition that was taken off of the house in the 60s
The blue circle is a flower garden
The yellow circle is the old well from the house

I really appreciate everyones' help! I am addicted to TN and have met some really nice people! Thanks to all!
 

Attachments

  • House current.webp
    House current.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 275
  • house marked.webp
    house marked.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 293

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom