FINDS ON SILVER BEACH OFF CHARLES ISLAND, MILFORD CONN - OPINIONS?

shawneetreasure

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
[size=10pt]
These are items my father found with a metal detector off of Charles Island, Milford, Connecticut in the 1960s on the beach. He was combing the beach early in the morning after a very heavy storm. This is when the 'acorn bracelet' was discoved. It gave quite a 'thud' noise according to him.
The bracelet seems to be silver, in my opinion, it is very weighty and very primitive, but has details also. The tips appear to be 'acorns' and they have more detailed etchings than the camera picks up. There are also other etchings and it appears to be be a women's bracelet. Although 'bent', she would have had a thin wrist, which many women did in earlier time periods.
Only similar bracelet I've ever seen on the net was a similar-style bracelet from the 1700s and yet that looked almost 'modern'...how I wonder how old this 'treasure' (to me anyways... ;) )
Charles Island was visited by Captain Kidd and other pirates. He visited it and the town at least (probably more) 3 times
(documented) and stayed various time lengths. Yes, it's another spot, right before he was captured, that the legend says his treasure is buried. Other pirate ships and early ships anchored off the island as well.
Other than amateurs, no professional search was done, one was started awhile back and abandoned due to problems.
I have explored the island many times. There are dense woods and overgrown brush, many have found spanish doubloons off this beach and other items throughout the years.
These are items my father found. The thin bracelet looks like the inner ring of a common metal food can and he was ready to discard it...but after inspecting it, the metal is precious, I believe it is silver.
The button is perfect, thin and has a old-fashion button round loop the other side, clear designs and a beautiful pearly inset, the other button seems to be an old military button.
Finally, the charm-like piece is Native American Indian design, a figure of a bird with some words on back, can't read them all and roman numerals. The island once had a monk monastery on it which would probably attribute to this piece 'possibly' and I have visited it years ago as a child and viewed the ruins and still-standing archway...a memorable experience, actually have roamed the island several times. Island shores were always full of 'big holes' from the dreamers digging for Kidd's legended buried treasure. Beware of the huge rats...if you hike through the woods.
Dad gave me these items...he often dreamed of getting a 'better' detector and finding a real doubloon...actually I wouldn't have minded finding these myself.
Any experts or just opinions out there on these items? I am, of course, especially interested in the bracelet, there is no way it is 1900s and I doubt 1800s, if you saw it in person, you would see the primitive earlier-look and it is very heavy...would like to get an idea of it's possible worth. It seems to be 2 or 3 times heavier than a women's bracelet should be...I did read that very early jewelry was heavy...anyone know?
Thank you for viewing and I'll have the two pictures up below for at least awhile here. Have researched alot of history of this island.
TREASURE1.JPG
TREASURE2.JPG

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that bracelet a Victorian era item? Even if not, an awesome set of finds!

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The bird looks like one of the pewter thunderbirds used on keychains given to contributors to the Southwest Indian Foundation around 20-25 years ago. Some of the birds were solid, like yours; some had cutouts around the wings and tail. Later on, they switched from pewter to turquoise-colored plastic.

The larger button is a band uniform button. These have been used by both military and civilian bands, and the same basic design has been around for over 100 years.. Here's a version made by Waterbury:

http://www.waterburybutton.com/user...er Uniform&subcatg=Band Uniform&page=1&id=269

[attachment deleted by admin]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shawneetreasure

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
Thanks, Everybody. - for your time and info.
I had a feeling that was a music instrument, it sure looked older.
There are 5 letters I found on the back, but I need to get a magnfiier
with the company's name.
The bird piece couldn't possibly be from the monastery there then
as they would have had their settlement much farther back in time.
I'm guessing maybe it's only 50s, 60s.
The nicer bracelet reminds me of Victorian era. I've seen the 'acorn
theme', but also saw the same theme in a family's 1700s estate, so
it still may go back.
Going to try to research, there must be something somewhere.
It seems strange it is so heavy.
Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread