Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of you probably don't know that I have been excavating an Old Spanish forge site on the Gulf Coast for the last three to four years. I've found lots of silver but have never found that definitive piece. Well, today I found it! What made it even better is that GIB joined me for the hunt so he was there to share the moment. Here are the raw pics...then the story...

IMG_1953[1].JPG IMG_1954[1].JPG

This was the first time GIB and I had been out there since the Tropical Storm a few months ago. We knew there was going to be a lot of beach erosion so even at high tide we were super excited to hit it. I was using the sand shark and literally finding 2-3 targets every two feet. In some cases multiple targets in the same hole. I was feeling good until I slipped on a slope and sliced the bottom of my foot open on a calm. That was pretty miserable but I wasn't going to let it ruin my hunt. I stopped the bleeding by packing it with sand and kept moving. Then I hit it...that special noise only expert sand shark users know about. It was a low-high to mid-high beep. I knew I had something special. It didn't have the slight buzz of iron and it didn't have that high-high beep quality of a circle coin or a ring. When I pulled it out my heart skipped a beat. After 3-4 years I finally had the piece to date the site! So I dropped the detector and scoop and started moving at a very fast walk to show GIB. He saw me coming and could see the smile beaming from 100 yards away. He pulled out his cell phone to record the encounter. I walked up with hand held high...victoriously, and he said,
"You got something good?"
I replied, "We finally got it GIB, we finally got the piece to date our site."
I proudly put the coin in his hand and just beamed at him. He looked at it for three seconds and said, "It's a fake." and then handed it back to me.
"What!" I said aghast! This has not been a tourist beach for a long time..."How do you know?"
He calmly replied, "I bought it in St. Augustine for you." Then he said, let me guess, "You found it right here?" And he showed me the exact spot he had buried it in.
So I looked real close at the coin...

IMG_1955[1].JPG

All of the sudden my foot started to hurt real bad again. The only consolation I have is that GIB guessed wrong on which way I would go first so he had to wait a good hour until I finally got around to where he had hidden it.

Alas! Hunt with GIB at your own peril!
One good piece of news is that I did find another piece of cast off silver from the forge. It is the black rock looking thing. GIB scanned it with his 3030...so you can get the official numbers from him. Its not pure silver but I already knew that because I have been melting the stuff down and getting different metals out of it. GIB also claims that the hunk of iron that looks like a C with the nice inlay is an old Scallop shucking knife...I'm not so sure I believe him. Gonna have to post it in the What is It section to make sure.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOOOO-HOOOOOO! Congratulations! :skullflag::notworthy:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yepper, it was a fun hunt indeed.

I'm still two turtles behind!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yepper, it was a fun hunt indeed.

I'm still two turtles behind!

That is just mean.....and an awesome joke all at the same time!!! :laughing7:

Kind of of like years ago, my dad burying the same stupid mercury dime over and over in the yard, My brother and I used his machine, and would find it!! We found six of them one week! we were going to be "rich" and kept looking for more! He kept putting them in the "special" box! We were to young and dumb to figure out......... it was the same dime........Until...We wanted to see all of them! He thought that was soooo funny! We were crushed!!! "You mean there is only one?":laughing7:

I actually have his first machine in the closet here, I should take the thing apart, and unsolder everything off the board, send it too him in the mail in a box with a note.....Remember the mercury dime? Haha hahaha......find the schematic to this!!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm what give it away as a fake ?

Perhaps the four letters stamped in the cross... "C" "O" "P" "Y". :P

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

Thanks for the chuckles.....you owe GIB big time now....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Crispin, I'm sure it felt great!!!! Till the let down.....

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Crispin, I'm sure it felt great!!!! Till the let down.....

Pity not the mighty Crispin.

He hath paid me back... (possibly unwittingly, but payback none the less)

I get a call late the night of the hunt- nay.... a simple text. He waited until I had consumed enough alcohol so I couldn't respond immediately.

"Hey, I think I might have left your pinpointer out in the grass." "Would you mind swinging by in the morning and looking about?"

Yeah, so now I get to lay away all night dreading the fateful demise of Bob, my favorite pinpointer.

Shaking off the morning cobwebs I head for the location with minimal expectations.

Astonishingly enough- there's Bob, patiently waiting, soaking up the morning dew. He lay there abandoned 22 hours...

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 3.27.25 PM.png

I'm going to have to find Bob a good Therapist. He has abandonment issues now.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GIB,

Like the old saying goes...."Don't get angry get even".........lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny prank, you owe him one now. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread