Fire

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm going to go pick up the weapons here in a bit. I had relocated them due to final Hurricane Michael repairs being done to the house. Long and sometimes funny post about that.

We have a 700 plus acre fire burning 2 miles North of us. The fire is currently moving North East and IF It jumps the 2 lane road, and the wind shifts a bit we'll be in the path. Between us and the fire is a two lane road and a lot of dead and live pine trees aka fire food!

So getting paperwork, DD Form 214s, military orders, grab and go bags etc, along with the weapons, our Husky, Husky-Malamute mix and our cat ready if we need to bug out.

We've made it this far post Hurricane Michael, and the final repairs are about to begin, and now 3 1/2 years later we are in danger of possibly losing everything to a fire.

These pictures were taken earlier from one of our upstairs bedrooms, and when it was 100 acre fire.

20220304_151102.jpg
20220304_210242.jpg

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Sarge. You and your household in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how it goes. I have been through that area many times on the way to Mexico Beach and Port St Joe. Has been our home away from home,

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Fire has expanded to 1500 acres plus and has a name now.....

Adkins Avenue Fire.

Winds are slated to be out of the South to South East tomorrow, in theory that should fan it away from us, as the fire is around North to North West of us currently.

Even with all that, I doubt I'll sleep much if any tonight.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well are being told we are in the next Evacuation Zone, if this fire moves more, we'll be ordered out.

"The Florida Forest Service said on Friday that the fires were fuelled by 72 million tonnes of lingering tree debris left behind by Michael’s intense winds."

That's a lot of fuel that is fueling these fires, and the majority of it is Pine Trees.

As for us, so far so good, there's a 20% chance of rain Monday, and the chances increase over a several day period (40% then 80%). So here's hoping the rains come, and it gives relief and help to the Fire Fighters. Embers from this one are a concern, so are on a heighten alert at this time. With winds blowing South to North at 20-25 MPH, I don't understand why we keep getting a jump of the fires Southward.

From the upstairs bedroom window.

20220306_145422.jpg

20220306_145407.jpg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well are being told we are in the next Evacuation Zone, if this fire moves more, we'll be ordered out.

"The Florida Forest Service said on Friday that the fires were fuelled by 72 million tonnes of lingering tree debris left behind by Michael’s intense winds."

That's a lot of fuel that is fueling these fires, and the majority of it is Pine Trees.

As for us, so far so good, there's a 20% chance of rain Monday, and the chances increase over a several day period (40% then 80%). So here's hoping the rains come, and it gives relief and help to the Fire Fighters. Embers from this one are a concern, so are on a heighten alert at this time. With winds blowing South to North at 20-25 MPH, I don't understand why we keep getting a jump of the fires Southward.

From the upstairs bedroom window.

View attachment 2014220

View attachment 2014219
Thanks for the update Sarge, and we are hoping with you. Keep us posted please.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
We have the following fires burning in Bay County.

The Bertha Swamp Road Fire is currently the biggest. Status active.
Deer Point/Southport fire. Status unknown.
Adkins Road Fire. Status active.
Star Ave Fire, newest one and the one that threatens us right now. Status active.
Plus 2 which I don't know if they named. Status unknown.

So basically 6 fires have burned in the last 2 weeks......3 of which I know are still active.

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the following fires burning in Bay County.

The Swamp Fire is currently the biggest. Status active.
Deer Point/Southport fire. Status unknown.
Adkins Road Fire. Status active.
Star Ave Fire, newest one and the one that threatens us right now. Status active.
Plus 2 which I don't know if they named. Status unknown.

So basically 6 fires have burned in the last 2 weeks......3 of which I know are still active.
Hopefully rain will come soon and help. Looks like maybe there Tuesday and all week.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Sarge. That looks bad.

Yeah, I've seen fires on TV a million times it seems. But when you see one in person, it's a totally different experience. I've always felt for the West Coast people and their dang near yearly fires. Never expected one to be nearly in my backyard......!

I'm appreciative beyond words for all the fire fighters local and the ones that volunteered from all over Florida that are busting their butts for us.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, seems like nature doesn’t like you!
What did you do to it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread