Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Norfolk for a few days for business, so I headed to VA Beach last night with the MXT. I went down to the water's edge in the shallow water.

As soon as I turned my detector on and balanced it, I got a steady +0 VDI that wouldn't settle. I tried adjusting the disc and gain, but to no avail. Wherever I swung the coil, the +0 reading wouldn't go away. When I moved up to the dry sand, I didn't have this problem. I got no reading until I was over the target.

Why would the wet sand and water cause my detector to do this and is there a solution?

Thanks,
J

Upvote 0
your machine doesnt get on well with the high mineralised ground namely salt, turn your sensitivity setting down, and swing your coilhigher off of the ground.Your coil is being swamped by the signal bouncing back and forth from the mineralised ground.you might have to swing a lot slower as well. good luck seeya Neilo

Listen to Neilo, he's always right. The MXT is not a detector for hunting the wet saltwater sand. The conductive saltwater and black sand together do a number on detectors without a saltwater mode. Minelabs don't have a problem either. Your OK in the dry sand.

On taking these Whites out in the water, you have to be careful that water in the stem doesn't travel up the shaft to the controls box if the coil is lifted higher than the controls.

Sandman said:
Listen to Neilo, he's always right. The MXT is not a detector for hunting the wet saltwater sand. The conductive saltwater and black sand together do a number on detectors without a saltwater mode. Minelabs don't have a problem either. Your OK in the dry sand.

On taking these Whites out in the water, you have to be careful that water in the stem doesn't travel up the shaft to the controls box if the coil is lifted higher than the controls.

That's funny, because I called White's before I went and asked them if I could use the MXT on the beach and he said I could and that it was a great machine for that. Guess he has a bit of a bias lol.

That's funny, because I called White's before I went and asked them if I could use the MXT on the beach and he said I could and that it was a great machine for that. Guess he has a bit of a bias lol.
You called Whites and asked, but did you tell him you were going to use in in saltwater? Using it on the beach is a different animal than in saltwater or even wet sand.

If you wanna play in the water you are going to need a dedicated beach detector like a Tiger Shark, Beach Hunter ID, Excal or one of the others that like saltwater and black sand together.

I would listen to Sandman, he is the man when it comes to water hunting. I have bugged him on numerious occassions with questions, both on the website and via IM's, and he has always given me excellent advice that I found very useful! ;)

With some tuning the MXT will run in the wet sand. The +0 you were geting was the MXT reading the salt.
I think it has a beach mode on it. The DfX is a great beach and wet sand machine. MXT will work but is not great for the wet sand. I have found several gold rings on the beach with the DFX.

Kiros32,
This is Mel again from across the river. I have hunted VA Beach with my DFX and have found some neat finds...in and out of the water. Have had no problems.......but, like Sandman points out...and I agree....make sure the water doesn't get into the control box. When I take it out of the water, I have to be mindful of that aspect when I ground balance again....which I like to do, just for peace of mind.

I've been thinking about getting a backup detector (possibly an MXT) just in case something happens to my DFX....or in case somebody wants to MD with me........but now I'm thinking about Sandman's advice on the dedicated beach detectors. And then, I think about I'd also like the flexibility of having a backup detector for regular land use. Ok...........Sandman.......pls donate a couple of your detectors to me..........LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, Kiros32, good luck at VA Beach next time. There is also another smaller beach near the John Lesner Bridge.........it wasn't as picked over as the VA Beach was. Modest finds, but still neat area.
--Mel

borninok

borninok said:
Kiros32,
This is Mel again from across the river. I have hunted VA Beach with my DFX and have found some neat finds...in and out of the water. Have had no problems.......but, like Sandman points out...and I agree....make sure the water doesn't get into the control box. When I take it out of the water, I have to be mindful of that aspect when I ground balance again....which I like to do, just for peace of mind.

I've been thinking about getting a backup detector (possibly an MXT) just in case something happens to my DFX....or in case somebody wants to MD with me........but now I'm thinking about Sandman's advice on the dedicated beach detectors. And then, I think about I'd also like the flexibility of having a backup detector for regular land use. Ok...........Sandman.......pls donate a couple of your detectors to me..........LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, Kiros32, good luck at VA Beach next time. There is also another smaller beach near the John Lesner Bridge.........it wasn't as picked over as the VA Beach was. Modest finds, but still neat area.
--Mel

borninok

If most of your hunting is done on dry land, I would highly recommend the MXT. I love mine and it can be used for nearly every kind of detecting, including prospecting. But, if you spend a lot of time at the beach, then I would recommend something else.

Good luck and let me know if you are ever on this side of the river or are ever up for a hunt on your side.

Kiros32

I live in Myrtle Beach and use either a White's Beach Hunter ID or an MXT. I have had a LOT of great luck with the MXT in the wet sand. You just have to make sure you have the box set on the "Salt" setting (toggle switch). I used the MXT for at least 2 years in the wet sand and recovered several hundred coins and a ton of rings and jewelry. It's a GREAT beach hunting machine.
xXx

I too have an MXT. There's always a trick out there that someone finds and forgets to pass on ???. I found one for the MXT right in the owners manual! Get to the edge of the wet / dry sand and ground balance the machine there. Sort of wet, sort of dry. Then, when it settles down and acts nice again, lock the ground balance. Simple as that. Just make sure you balance it for salt! Then go on your merry way and start finding all those diamond and gold rings that are just waiting for you. Happy Hunting ;D. BTW...I'm on vacation now in Hilton Head SC. Going to fire up my MXT shortly. Happy Hunting.

I have an MXT and a Beach Hunter ID. The MXT works great in dry sand but less in wet sand (some falsing). The stock coil for the MXT is not stable in wet sand. You may want to get a DD coil which will be more stable in wet sand. The 6x10DD coil is my favorite for beach hunting for the MXT.

The MXT is a great machine. Just takes time to learn.

HH.
Moe

Get to the edge of the wet / dry sand and ground balance the machine there. Sort of wet, sort of dry. Then, when it settles down and acts nice again, lock the ground balance. Simple as that. Just make sure you balance it for salt! Then go on your merry way

When in doubt, read the manual!

It is recommended that you not wander too far off the path, though, from wet sand to dry, once it is lock balanced in the wet. Once locked, it will see a new matrix in the dry sand. Meanwhile, it is locked and cannot compensate for the new shift in mineralization. The result? lost targets.

If you balance lock in the lane, stay there. Besides, thats where all the bikini sirens parade, so it has benefits....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back