What's new

First Capped Bust .... To Bad My Shovel Bit It

46Wheat

Silver Member
Joined
May 23, 2014
Messages
3,651
Reaction score
3,357
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got home from work and decided to go detecting for a couple of hours to unwind from a bad day . Was swinging in a hay field which is on our family farm and adjacent to the field that I dug the Morgan in a couple of years ago . My first decent signal was a solid 12-45 on the ETrac and produced a pretty slick LC . I found a wheat penny and a couple of buttons in the same general area so I started to grid it pretty hard. After an hour or so I had hit it pretty hard and was down to digging big iron that was falsing high tones . I dug a large rusted wagon pin that was throwing a screaming 12-46 . Or so I thought ...... after I got the iron out of the ground I swung over it again and the screaming 12-46 was still there . I opened the plug back up and stuck my pinpointer in . I figured it was a Merc or mabey even a barber. When I popped it out I wiped the dirt off the front to see what it was. (I know , I know ....save the never wipe coin speaches please lol) To my wondering eyes what did appear but a pretty little lady wearing a cap on a shiny silver coin
. I was so shocked that I actually dropped it . I promptly put it in my pouch and literally ran out of the field and back to my truck to get my phone which was charging because it was dead. So I could get a couple of pictures of it before it totally dried out .I have to say after starting this year by finding my first Spanish silver and now finding what has always been my dream coin of a capped bust anything I'm not sure there's any way that my detecting year could get better. I have a couple of pictures straight out of the ground and a few after she was all cleaned up and pretty. That's at what point I realized that when I was digging the piece of Big Iron that I hammered the front of the coin pretty hard with my shovel. She has a battle scar now but is still the most beautiful coin that I have ever dug .
 

Attachments

  • 1465515410717.webp
    1465515410717.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 1465515435957.webp
    1465515435957.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 275
  • 1465515466067.webp
    1465515466067.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 1465515480500.webp
    1465515480500.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 348
  • 1465515496765.webp
    1465515496765.webp
    63.9 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 86
Congratulations! That is one awesome looking coin! Bucket list find. Enjoy!!
 
That coin looks awesome, excellent details. Congrats 46W, on a truly epic find!
 
She beautiful AU in my book scar and all, Spanish, Capped now you need that gold coin and your year will be complete .
 
Congrats. Very nice looking coin. A capped bust is still one that eludes my coil. Have came close with an 1840 seated ,but not close enough.
 
Just a little kiss. Amazing coin.
 
HOLY Busted Beauty Batman! That's gorgeous! I don't even see where you nicked it? (Is that the flat spot on the rim?) What an amazing coin. Sure would have been tickled pink to have found that one!

Great find. I imagine you'll be grinning MONTHS over this.

AWESOME!

If you look on her neck and under her ear up to the y in liberty
 
That is a real beauty. Congrats on a great American coin!
 
wow that is mint!
 
That is one beauty of a coin, detail is awesome! Congrats!

I've done more damage to my first Barber dime with my digger.
 
Wow that's a sharp coin, congrats. Don't worry about scratching it, at least you found it!
 
Great find, and congrats on your first CAPPED! If you are going to zingo a coin, I guess you did it the best way possible. Personally, I don't sell coins, so I think it adds character to mine.

Excellent find.
 
Boy that's a beauty! I love how shiny it was coming out of the hole and how the dirt didn't get all encrusted in the word liberty on her head. Made for an easy clean-up for sure. Nice coin.
 
Boy that's a beauty! I love how shiny it was coming out of the hole and how the dirt didn't get all encrusted in the word liberty on her head. Made for an easy clean-up for sure. Nice coin.

There is alot of dingy spots around the stars still and in the crevices on her drape . The reason the liberty pops so good in the picture is the dirt in the bottom of the letters . But I don't want to clean much other then water. And the shiniest spot is where I slashed her face with my shovel
 
Last edited:
That coin is redonk! I am wicked excited for you. Congrats on a dream find!
 
Wow that's a beautiful coin looks like the only damage is on the rim I wouldn't even let that bother me. I'm still waiting for my first cap
 
Well since it is scratched you should have me get rid of it for you lol.congratulations on a beautiful coin.
 
Gorgeous capped lady... Congrats!
 
Outstanding! I'd say it's in really good condition! Probably F to VF condition
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom