What's new

First Colonial Copper of The Year!

coinman123

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
4,676
Reaction score
5,768
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Last year at about this time there was two feet of snow on the ground, even when I tried to metal detecting in late March it was absolutely impossible. Luckily this winter has been way milder, and I have been able to get out to metal detect a few times when the weather was nice. Today I thought it looked like a good day to metal detect, it was over 50 degrees out (which is extremely rare for NH during February), and the snow was starting in to melt. Me and a friend decided on a reliable place to metal detect. When we got there we saw over 2 inches over the whole place, I figured that would be a little annoying but not impossible. I decided to go in the stream first, the only place without snow, I found a lot of pieces of pottery on the surface and a musket ball with the metal detector. My friend found an iron buckle at around the same time, only in a different area of the site. I then decided to try away from the river, in the snow. My friend then exclaimed that he found a button. We were ready to leave, but decided to stay for another 10 more minutes. I decided on an area I have tried before, finding buttons in the past. I quickly got a very high signal under the snow, I dug and right in the dirt was a copper disk. I picked it up and looked at it, right away I saw the huge rim and know that it was a King George I Half Penny. Overall, It was a very good hunt, very pleased and surprised I was able to find anything in the snow. When I got home I cleaned it up and was able to make out the date of 1722, almost three hundred years old. It may not look very nice but I am happy with finding it. Last year it wasn't until spring when I found my first copper.

DSC_0575.webpDSC_0563.webpDSC_0561.webp
Here's all the snow on the ground.
IMG_20160220_160911.webp
 
Upvote 30
Also, I cleaned it by rubbing it with a wet Q-Tip and rubbing it with mineral oil. Now it is soaking in mineral oil.
 
Nice copper! Whoooo yah! I have exactly 3 KG1's, none look as good as yours and only one I can make out a date.

Congrats and great way to start your 2016 copper streak!
 
Id be happy to find just one in my lifetime. Great Job
 
Excellent old copper recovery! :occasion14:
 
Sweet find coinman. Gotta love digging those.
 
Amazing old copper
 
Great Find. Glad you've unthawing and out digging those sweet finds.
 
Nice going on the KG I. I find a lot of KG II's, but far less of the earlier ones.
 
Nice going on the KG I. I find a lot of KG II's, but far less of the earlier ones.

Same here, KG II's are my most common colonial copper, right after toasted and unreadable coppers :). This is actually my first KG I Britannia, though I did find a 1723 Wood's Hibernia with King George on it. A KG I Britannia was on my bucket list actually. I had found a William III Halfpenny but never a KG I British Halfpenny. I guess I finally found on today :)
 
Great early copper buddy. I have dug exactly one KG1. A 1722 also. They're a very cool coin. That high rim often saves the face a bit more than other KG coppers
 
Nice KG I, glad you were able to scratch it off the bucket list. I like the recessed date on those coins, the dates are readable more often than on the KG II or III. I have dug around 10 of them, but haven't found one in years.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom