What's new

First colonial Militia Button??

X-Splenda

Full Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
160
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra
I have just recently found this button. somebody said it was the first milita button in america
is that true??? and what's the rarity of it??? and the value? any more pics just ask me......

mslitv.jpg


DSC02860.jpg


DSC02862.jpg
 
I am going to have to go 1812-1815 which are flat, the 1820 buttons appear to be curved.
 
Upvote 0
thanks for the info!!! i will update you in the new finds this week
 
Upvote 0
sweet button find! I hope you pull more good ones out of there!

Steve
 
Upvote 0
La Beep said:
I am going to have to go 1812-1815 which are flat, the 1820 buttons appear to be curved.


I'm not sure exactly when this basic design (anchor on spade-shaped shield below eagle's wing, etc.) first appeared. Some may be pre-1820, but my estimate is an average based on backmarks appearing on a number of other, similar early Navy buttons (Albert's NA 61 - NA 67 varieties). The date ranges of a few of these makers begin as early as the 1810's (Mann, Moore, Wallis); however, others are c. 1820's-30's (Lewis & Tomes, Peasley, Robinson, Spies), including some British firms whose production would certainly be post-1815 due to wartime restrictions (e.g., Wise, Bielby, Hyde & Co.).

So, unless there's a clear backmark of known exact age, the best we can do is guess.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom