What's new

First colonial Militia Button??

X-Splenda

Full Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
160
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra
I have just recently found this button. somebody said it was the first milita button in america
is that true??? and what's the rarity of it??? and the value? any more pics just ask me......

mslitv.jpg


DSC02860.jpg


DSC02862.jpg
 
X-splenda, is the shiled laying horizontally or is this my eyes? If it is, I'm having a heck of a time finding any example in Albert of that design. I'll keep looking.
 
Upvote 0
Looks a bit like one or two of Albert's NA 66 Navy varieties from the 1820's-30's. I'm not saying that's what it is... just noting some points of comparison. Here's a link to good pics of a fairly similar NA 66 B, although I think NA 66 E might be closer.

http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/rd0807132.JPG

Maybe adjusting the rotation on X-Splenda's pic will help:

DSC02860.webp
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Looks a bit like one or two of Albert's NA 66 Navy varieties from the 1820's-30's. I'm not saying that's what it is... just noting some points of comparison. Here's a link to good pics of a fairly similar NA 66 B, although I think NA 66 E might be closer.

http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/rd0807132.JPG

Maybe adjusting the rotation on X-Splenda's pic will help:

I noticed that :wink:
 
Upvote 0
so any ideas that it is millitary or not?
and the value of it?
if anybody had any ideas?
 
Upvote 0
X-Splenda said:
so any ideas that it is millitary or not?
and the value of it?
if anybody had any ideas?

Definately Military.

Value - £2 :wink:
 
Upvote 0
i think it's worth more money than that!
it was found at a colonial homesite
and a known rev. war encampment
and somebody told it was rare....
 
Upvote 0
If it is indeed one of the Albert NA 66 varieties, those one-piece early Navy buttons retail around $200-250 in nice condition. However, they are later than Rev. War— again, c. 1820's-30's.
 
Upvote 0
thanks for the clarfication...
hope the site bring's up some good coins
if anybody has some ideas on it please post
 
Upvote 0
PBK, thanks for the better scan (eyes definately on the blink) it looks like an Albert GI 57 to me, (Militia) does that sound right to you?
 
Upvote 0
Could be— though note, too, the similar Navy varieties that I mentioned.

Obviously, the details of the shield would clear that up, one way or the other.

Also, check the position of the wing over the shield, another helpful diagnostic detail. A bit more of the top edge of the shield extends past the wing on the Navy buttons.
 
Upvote 0
X-Splenda said:
i think it's worth more money than that!
it was found at a colonial homesite
and a known rev. war encampment
and somebody told it was rare....

see the :wink: means thats what it worth to me :D I'm sure someone over there will pay a little bit more :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Without a doubt a Naval button NA66 variant and on age being 1820's. The Eagle design with shield is similiar to this 1820's backmarked button I have, identified in Tice's book as 1820s. With the condition of the one posted, I think you should be satisified having a nice identified display piece.

Don
 

Attachments

  • EagleBMbutton.webp
    EagleBMbutton.webp
    71.5 KB · Views: 402
  • EagleBMbutton.webp
    EagleBMbutton.webp
    71.5 KB · Views: 345
  • EagleNavalbm.webp
    EagleNavalbm.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
X-Splenda said:
so any ideas that it is millitary or not?
and the value of it?
if anybody had any ideas?

Definately Military.

Value - £2 :wink:
£2 Two liters of beer? :wink:
 
Upvote 0
La Beep said:
CRUSADER said:
X-Splenda said:
so any ideas that it is millitary or not?
and the value of it?
if anybody had any ideas?

Definately Military.

Value - £2 :wink:
£2 Two liters of beer? :wink:

2 litres of beer for £2, I wish, do you post outside the US :D
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
La Beep said:
CRUSADER said:
X-Splenda said:
so any ideas that it is millitary or not?
and the value of it?
if anybody had any ideas?

Definately Military.

Value - £2 :wink:
£2 Two liters of beer? :wink:

2 litres of beer for £2, I wish, do you post outside the US :D
He certainly doesn't drink in the UK :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
::)

Time, gentlemen, please.

Sorry, back on the cup of tea before bed :D
 
Upvote 0
"Could be— though note, too, the similar Navy varieties that I mentioned."

PBK, of course you and Don are absolutely right! Time to hit the dollar store for a new pair of specks for me! By the way PBK, you were particularly gentle on me with the "could be". Next time feel free to dole out a harsher "can't be". I can take it! Thanks again. :D

p.s. Don, that is one awsome backmarked button of your's! You must have flipped when you first saw it!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom