First detecting trip and found gold!!!

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I finally got out with my gmt for the first real time.

Took some time to tell the difference in sounds, but it's coming quickly to me.

Found lots of trash at the first site. At the second place I only spent twenty minutes or so, but I found gold!!

Needless to say I'm hooked and hope to find more tomorrow. Full report and pics to follow.

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How fair is that? Lucky dog!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many congratulations!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
C

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here is a bit of an update. Made a trip to the motherlode down at really low elevations to avoid the snow.

Back from my two day detecting trip. Lets just say I don't think I could have started out any better. Gold on the first day and even more on the second.

I went to a little area that I have been researching, and as expected it hadn't been worked at all, at least by a detector. Lots of evidence of old workings in the area, but no modern human trash.

It was great to get out and really get to see what the GMT could do, and learn the subtle differences in sounds between iron targets, gold, and hot rocks.

Final gold total. One piece the first day (left side of the pic) and six on the second day. Not sure how much it weighs.

One question for GMT users. What does it sound like when your coil is over a larger piece of gold? More like an iron target in terms of signal intensity?

Cheers,
JD

Attachments

• photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    723 KB · Views: 316

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like good research paid off well. Congrats.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG! :hello2:

GMT's Rule

GG~

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I finally got out with my gmt for the first real time.

Took some time to tell the difference in sounds, but it's coming quickly to me.

Found lots of trash at the first site. At the second place I only spent twenty minutes or so, but I found gold!!

Needless to say I'm hooked and hope to find more tomorrow. Full report and pics to follow.

That's a rarity for sure. I found a 1.1 gram banana nugget the first hour I was out with my Gold Bug Pro. From reading many threads many people can go 6 months or more before they find gold. I chalked it up as just DUMB luck on my part. I stuck the coil into a bush bingo bango I had a nugget. Congrates...

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a rarity for sure. I found a 1.1 gram banana nugget the first hour I was out with my Gold Bug Pro. I chalked it up as just DUMB luck on my part. I stuck the coil into a bush bingo bango I had a nugget.

Same here AzViper... many times over the years I've walked directly to a spot and got a piece of silver up here, then spent the rest of the day finding nothing. Luck does play an important role, but you can't have any if you don't get out there and bushwhack in the first place...

Jim.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same here AzViper... many times over the years I've walked directly to a spot and got a piece of silver up here, then spent the rest of the day finding nothing. Luck does play an important role, but you can't have any if you don't get out there and bushwhack in the first place...

Jim.

This is what I mainly dig up, but I am digging and finding the dang brass.

GV5.jpg GV6.jpg

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it will scream if it's close to the surface, by close to the surface anything within 6", the heart shape nugget in the avatar was 4 to 5 inches deep, i thought at first just a large cal. happy wrong
:hello2:HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread