What's new

First field hunt of the season produces unknown colonial silver

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,220
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit the first field site of the new season today, but only a small area of this huge property was huntable after the corn was recently cut. I've hunted this part of the site before with only a few turn-of-the-century finds made, so I wasn't expecting much. But out in the middle of the field I got a random signal that was in the flat button range. When the target first revealed itself I could see the edge of a small silver disk. Thought it was a gilted flat button, but I was shocked to see that it turned out to be a very thin colonial silver coin dated 1788. I couldn't see much detail due to the black tarnish, but it had an unusual design that I didn't immediately recognize. But it didn't appear to be like any spanish or british silver I've previously dug. When I got home I did a little light electrolysis which did a good job revealing more details. But I'm still not sure what this is. Can someone help with an ID? The other finds were rather paltry, but I was quite happy with the day's effort as colonial silver is always at the top of my list.
 

Attachments

  • 1788 before.webp
    1788 before.webp
    28 KB · Views: 1,777
  • 1788 after.webp
    1788 after.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,782
  • 091611a.webp
    091611a.webp
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,772
Upvote 0
Indyfan73 said:
nice digs let us know what the colonial coin is i have a thought but keep us all informed

It has been id'ed for quite awhile now. Its a 1738 half reale from spain, referred to as a pistareen.
 
umrgolf said:
Indyfan73 said:
nice digs let us know what the colonial coin is i have a thought but keep us all informed

It has been id'ed for quite awhile now. Its a 1738 half reale from spain, referred to as a pistareen.

Nice I.D. Jeff :icon_thumleft:, some people just don't pay as much attention. It's very apparent it's a Phillip V 1/2 Reale Pistareen, nice find :wink:
 
Not sure if you know or not but that one piece is from a musket trigger guard.Seen on english Iron Barrel Flintlock Blunderbuss (circa. 1815 )at least.The rest of your finds are cool also. :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • MVC-006F[1].webp
    MVC-006F[1].webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,099
Congrats on your first for the year! I am sure there will be several more to come, nice finds.
-Evan
 
Love the buttons, is that some fabric I can see still attached to one of them?
 
Timekiller said:
Not sure if you know or not but that one piece is from a musket trigger guard.Seen on english Iron Barrel Flintlock Blunderbuss (circa. 1815 )at least.The rest of your finds are cool also. :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

NICE EYE!
 
Hey Mike

Woodland Detectors said:
:hello:
Very nice silver Bill. Way to start off the season my friend. Will you be attending this fall's DIV?

I was signed up for DIV XIX, but had to drop out. Good luck to you! And congrats on the newborn. I have a daughter named Christina too, but she's 26 years older and getting married next year. Boy how time flies.
 
Nice digs Bill, I like the triggar guard finial. Nice eye Pete.
 
nice oldie! !!! MR TUFF
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom