What's new

First field hunt of the season produces unknown colonial silver

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,220
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit the first field site of the new season today, but only a small area of this huge property was huntable after the corn was recently cut. I've hunted this part of the site before with only a few turn-of-the-century finds made, so I wasn't expecting much. But out in the middle of the field I got a random signal that was in the flat button range. When the target first revealed itself I could see the edge of a small silver disk. Thought it was a gilted flat button, but I was shocked to see that it turned out to be a very thin colonial silver coin dated 1788. I couldn't see much detail due to the black tarnish, but it had an unusual design that I didn't immediately recognize. But it didn't appear to be like any spanish or british silver I've previously dug. When I got home I did a little light electrolysis which did a good job revealing more details. But I'm still not sure what this is. Can someone help with an ID? The other finds were rather paltry, but I was quite happy with the day's effort as colonial silver is always at the top of my list.
 

Attachments

  • 1788 before.webp
    1788 before.webp
    28 KB · Views: 1,777
  • 1788 after.webp
    1788 after.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,782
  • 091611a.webp
    091611a.webp
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,772
Upvote 0
Nice old Finds!
Phillip Silver Nice :hello2:
 
Right where you left off. Look forward to your fall finds!!
 
Nice find Bill, silver to start off your fall season! Does not V D G appear on British coins?

Don
 
Not British, looks Spanish/territories but I'll let others research, I'm no good with these :thumbsup: Good find :coffee2: PHILIP is clear on the obv)
 
umrgolf said:
1738 phillip V half reale pistareen

makes sense with legend 'Philip V D G' :icon_thumright:
 
Nice!!!

I have a small farm site too lined up. Either late Fall or early Spring, cant wait to see whats down there.
 
Thanks for the comments!

I got thrown off by all the wear on the coin, and was trying to force myself to see something that wasn't there. Its obviously a 1/2 reale.
 
Very nice find Bill! :notworthy:

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Dave
 
nice!!!! :thumbsup: lookin forward to what else comes to light in that field!
 
The coin appears to be a spanish reale from the Bolivian Potosi mines. Some experts out there can probably tell you more about it.

A clue shown below, this one with Carolus III on it but is a very close match.
Final Silver mint cobs produced at Potosi, Bolivia until 1773 HISPANARIUM.REX.1768 CAROLUS.III D.G
 

Attachments

  • coin.webp
    coin.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,466
sweet piece of silver there. hope there's some more like it nearby for you.
 
Bill notbad for the first hunt of the year! Love
the spanish. Im sure we will be seeing alot more
from you this year :D
 
Awesome Colonial Finds! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ
 
That is the way to start the Colonial season, Bill. I have a feeling that you will be adding a lot of Westerwald pottery and thick pipe stems to your collection as well. Must dig a pit! :hello2:

Kirk
 
nice digs let us know what the colonial coin is i have a thought but keep us all informed
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom