First Find- Might be just a rock

89geo

Mar 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, I was once active on this site under a different email address/username...but I have since lost my account info. Too much info out on the interwebs to keep track of it all (especially with sporadic interests)...

Which reminds me...I am primarily a gold hunter....

But I became interested in finding artifacts and went hiking in a new area behind my apartment complex. Theres about 100 acres of woodlands behind my place, complete with several streams, swamps, steep ravines/hills etc. I dont know a thing about artifacts but this rock stood out like a sore thumb. This stone was significantly larger than any of the gravels....both placer and bench deposits. Not only was it much larger, it was found on flat spot elevated above one of the streams. I'm not sure if I am projecting my hopes on to this rock...but could it be a hammerstone? I don't know much about the native populations- but I know they existed. I'm less than 10 miles from Washington DC. Thanks guys!

2nva611.jpg

ayonxs.jpg

nl63kg.jpg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Welcome back!

You nailed it, it's a rock alright. May even be a nice mano, I would have piicked it up and studied it for sure.

OP
OP

89geo

Mar 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back!

You nailed it, it's a rock alright. May even be a nice mano, I would have piicked it up and studied it for sure.

Lol thanks for the encouragement even if it's just something to learn from. Artifacts are fascinating...even the ones that don't actually have a story to tell will give your imagination something to run with!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It very well could be a tool, some better photos of the edges would help. Welcome to T-net again.:hello:

OP
OP

89geo

Mar 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 5.jpg

These are new today. The first one clearly has been polished flat on the bottom, with edges turning rough as it rounds the corner. The question though...what caused it?

OP
OP

89geo

Mar 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It very well could be a tool, some better photos of the edges would help. Welcome to T-net again.:hello:

I hope the most reason pic sheds lights on those edges for you to be able to recognize any distinctive signs. Let me know what you think!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread