plight72

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I'm new to Treasurenet and to metal detecting.
My son and I went out to our back yard and found the item below.
Our house was built in 1917 and is located in Lake City, NW Pa.
I was told that the town was built up around a circus performer named Dan Rice in 1853.
I just wanted to share the history of the area as I believe this may be a horse rosette but I'm not sure.
I cannot find the design anywhere on the internet and the holes location is strange to me.
Any information that anybody can give me on this item would be greatly appreciated. :icon_thumleft:

Item Front.jpg Item Back.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the day, folks would sometimes adorn their horses (among other things) with such things - sorta like a two-legger wearing jewelry. As money was tight for lots of folks, they would often repurpose cupboard knobs similar to this, drill a hole, then tie the bling to their trusty steed. So your thoughts on the circus performer might be correct!

Thanks for sharing - and welcome to Tnet!! :hello:

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting started!
Neat find.
Would make a neat weight for a windchime made from future finds ,of silverware maybe...

Keep it fun.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

plight72

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day, folks would sometimes adorn their horses (among other things) with such things - sorta like a two-legger wearing jewelry. As money was tight for lots of folks, they would often repurpose cupboard knobs similar to this, drill a hole, then tie the bling to their trusty steed. So your thoughts on the circus performer might be correct!

Thanks for sharing - and welcome to Tnet!! :hello:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Cupboard knob! Never thought of that! I'll do some research on the designs of that time period and see what I come up with.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks from the hole in it it was repurposed to hang from a string, probably not its original purpose but in the day that's what people did was recycle, maybe was a decorative on a piece of furniture that was ruined its really tough to say with that piece,congrats on the first find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions