First Ghetto Find

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to make light of others difficulties in life. This hooker comes by the office to beg for money, like she does on occasion. Usually having nothing of value, to buy, sell or trade. Today, she has these coins.

Shell Coins.JPG
Shell_69.JPG

I prefer to dig mine out of the dirt, but what the heck, I don't have any these. And I remember the Shell Coins back in the OldenDay.

Upvote 4

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one of those 2 weeks ago! Had no idea what it was until I searched the net. There are tons of them for sale on EBay too!

gypsybandit

Feb 4, 2011
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
you never know when you are entertaining Angels ... hooker my not be the appropriate tag for this unfortunate soul...???:dontknow:
This is a cool set ... i remember them from a long time ago .. when gas was High then too.. (70's)

metalman89

Jan 25, 2013
Jay, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett powermaster GTA1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of info have you found on them? Are they pretty easy to come by? I was walking down I295 in NJ and found a 2003 gold eagle. It was 1/5 oz. I was 13 and had no idea what it was worth and done guy at the bowling alley offered me $20 for it....I'm still kicking myself for taking that money. I hope i never see him again. I'll give him a piece of my mind. Anyway lets hear back from you!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like the asking price on feebay for an identical set is about 25 bucks

metalman89

Jan 25, 2013
Jay, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's not bad. The collectable value is higher than the monetary value any day.

gypsybandit

Feb 4, 2011
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
They gave you one of these coins each month with an 8 gallon fill up. till you filled the card .. they wanted your business... And don't feel bad .. I once had a little magazine rack given to me by a man of the cloth .. and I sold it at a yard sale when I moved to Tenn.. found out it was a Canterbury from the late 1700's . worth over $7,000 dollars .. I sold it for $5.00 ... we all have made that mistake once or twice in out life.. move on and you will be rewarded in the pay - forward plan!

metalman89

Jan 25, 2013
Jay, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From TN? Anywhere near Campbell county?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hookers in Mariposa?The world is coming to an end!!!!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool ! Great collectible !
Glen

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hookers in Mariposa?The world is coming to an end!!!!

I work in Merced. Though I don't doubt the existence of hookers in Mariposa, it's not a common problem like Merced. However, there is, what was, an early 20th Century brothel at the end of my street. Now it's a Subway. LOL.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsybandit said:
They gave you one of these coins each month with an 8 gallon fill up. till you filled the card .. they wanted your business... And don't feel bad .. I once had a little magazine rack given to me by a man of the cloth .. and I sold it at a yard sale when I moved to Tenn.. found out it was a Canterbury from the late 1700's . worth over $7,000 dollars .. I sold it for $5.00 ... we all have made that mistake once or twice in out life.. move on and you will be rewarded in the pay - forward plan!

Wow $6995.00 shy Been there

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now I don't feel quite so bad. A couple years ago I donated a Resistol 5X Beaver cowboy hat to a charity sale. Figured they might get $100 or so, we're a western town. They took the first $5 offer. Minor league compared to yours, but I'm still kicking myself.

You just gotta smile and move on.

Chuck

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember Silver (colored) coins, but don't remember bronze. Pretty sure it was shell. I'm also pretty sure it was late 60's early 70's.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Man, if these turn out to be worth $10,000, her "husband" is going to come by and hit you over the head with his cane tomorrow. By "husband," I mean that guy with the furry leopard-skin coat, giant sunglasses, feathered hat, and purple trousers who stands out on the corner with her.:laughing7:

metalman89

Jan 25, 2013
Jay, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Rhedden that's hilarious. If i had a like button in my app i would. Might have to get to the laptop

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't trust that hooker or anything she is got, who knows where they came from :dontknow: but kewl coins indeed maybe she is got more high dollar stuff that she doesn't even know is high dollar.. :occasion14:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool buy.......as long as its the only thing she gave ya LOL :cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread