What's new

First goal of this year out of the way!!

Ray in CA

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
983
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
One of my aims this year in metal detecting was to find my first Barber quarter, and today was the day!!

Came home today about 3pm and decided to hit the old jail site where I had found an IH my first time out with the Safari. Detected for about 40 minutes before it was time to head out. I almost threw my detector into the Jeep when I decided that I was going to give an area near my vehicle just one quick pass. Glad I did! Got about six feet away and snagged a 1907 Barber quarter. Did the happy dance (well, not visibly anyway) and gave the Lord a big "thanks!"

The coin came in at +37/+38 on the Safari at about six inches deep, and it was somewhat of a choppy signal. Unfortunately my lazy digging finally caught up with me, and I scratched the back. :-\

Oh well, I don't really plan on selling it anyway. Next on my goal list is a seated dime. Gonna have to start doing some research to get one of these, I think.

HH,

Ray
 

Attachments

  • barber1.webp
    barber1.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 654
  • barber2.webp
    barber2.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 657
  • barber3.webp
    barber3.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 656
Upvote 0
Yep thats a keeper... Congrats...jgas
 
Wow, that was quick! I hope you complete the rest of your goals this year with equally as fast. Keep it up! J
 
That is a beautiful coin. Congrats on your find.
 
Nice find..... Congrats!

John
 
Thanks folks! I was beginning to wonder if I'd actually ever find one of these coins!

artz...I'd love to strike big silver. I've only done it once with a 1921 Morgan and that was heart-stopping enough, lol.

Ray
 
Ray, my first one was a 1907 also. Be more careful next time. Congratulations.
 
Ray...glad for you! Keep em coming. Lots of history around there so there is more!
 
She's a beauty! I've gotta start huntin the old homesteads!

HH,
Moon
 
Thanks again for the comments, everyone!

Deno, yes I will definitely be more careful. That's the last silver coin I ever wish to scratch.

Moonshadow, homesteads are something I have to start looking into myself. I am sure there are plenty up here in Washington, but how to go about researching them is what I have to learn.

Ray
 
Nice barber. There have been a lot on here this year. Maybe mine will be next ::)
 
Ray, way to go. Go to the public library. They should have some old
maps that you can use to find old homesteads. tood luck, Jimbob
 
Ray in WA said:
Thanks folks! I was beginning to wonder if I'd actually ever find one of these coins!

artz...I'd love to strike big silver. I've only done it once with a 1921 Morgan and that was heart-stopping enough, lol.

Ray

Nice find! I'll bet a silver dollar is a HARD coin to lose.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom