First Hunt of 09 in Norther Michigan --- Frozen Turf and a pocket watch

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Ahhhhhhhh, Swinging a coil again! Spring is getting here, gradually.
An afternoon of chopping frozen turf and leaves will most likely pay off big, just in the savings. It was getting close to having to pay a therpist if I didn't get out soon!

Packed up all my stuff, loaded fresh batteries in the Quattro and the pinpointer. Temp was at the bottom of the 40's, but I could see that some fields and hillsides showed some brown between the eternal white spaces! Drove from spot to spot, wearing tennis shoes, looking for any of my haunts that I could hunt without wading through the snow to get to clear ground.

In the end I found myself at the old cooperage, and the towns first scrapyard. I know the whole area is covered with scrap iron and parts of old cars and machinery. This is an area I've done alright with my 5" coil, but today I had a new pro coil to finally try out.

The fields were flat from the months of deep snow. With the big coil in all the trash and metal I listened to so many signals in all metal that I made up for all the months of non detecting over the winter!

Found more scraps of metal of every kind than I will ever feel like identifying. Not a single coin did I find. I really was trying to see how much the pro coil would seperate targets in a trashy field. I also wanted to see how accurately I could pinpoint with it.

I learned a few things. First, I was rusty from not hunting for so long. Second, I have quite a bit to learn about the strengths and weaknesses of the pro coil.
Third, I need to bring a jackhammer along on early spring hunts!

The one interesting find was a E. Ingraham pocket watch, from Bristol Conn. It was a solid silver hit on the Quattro, and came up from well over 12" down.
I had been over the same area with my slimline and with my 5" last year, and never even got a bump. I had picked out a late 1800 IH about 10 feet from where I got the watch.

No idea how old it is, but it still opens.

Thanks for reading this long winded post!

Best of luck to you all!
Mark

Attachments

• pocket watch front 3-09.jpg
    pocket watch front 3-09.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 600
  • pocket watch back 3-09.jpg
    pocket watch back 3-09.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0
alright! glad you can dig up there now, nice find! I've dug 5 of those so far and none are in that good of shape. HH

Well, Postal, I guess you could call it "dig". Used the pick more than the digger.
Felt awful good to be out!

thanks,
Mark

I know the feeling. First time out feels good.. I found a couple of Wheatie's and a bullet.. The frost is still in certain area's and down at the 10 inch level.

Happy Hunting

Twin Digger

Great find, Mark!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm glad you can get out and hunt again!

You've got more patience than me to pick the site of an old junkyard to hunt. I've got some picnic groves down here that sound like they used to be old junkyards though... :-\

Great find! :thumbsup: I have found 10 or 12 pocket watches all in different states of disarray, but have never found one with the crystal in it. Nice to see your out hunting. Talk to ya later.

Wolverine.

Thanks John, Twindigger, and Crazy Jarkhead.

Kimsdad,
It was the only place I could find without 7 or 8 inches of snow and Ice on it yet. Wasn't my first choice.

Wolverine,
This is the first one I've found with a crystal still on it complete too. I was even more surprised when it came right off!

Bryce,
Good to hear from you Brother! Looking forward to your posts! Your mastery of those deep silver hits always amazes me!

If you see I posted a new thread. Second hunt and I mangled my first coin! Still can't believe I did it.

Thanks again guys!
Good Luck,
Mark

Great find! I am glad it is thawing out for you guys up there. Are you anywhere near Midland? My wife's family lives there we go up every summer for a few days.

Thanks Nick! I was taking my TIME and WATCHING where I was going!

Thanks Wobax,
I'm a couple of hours North of Midland, Bay City area. If you are planning to swing a coil up there let me know. I know someone that claims to have access to some great sites there that haven't been hunted. I may be able to get you a good spot to try.

Have a great Day!
Mark

mpostma said:
Thanks Nick! I was taking my TIME and WATCHING where I was going!

Thanks Wobax,
I'm a couple of hours North of Midland, Bay City area. If you are planning to swing a coil up there let me know. I know someone that claims to have access to some great sites there that haven't been hunted. I may be able to get you a good spot to try.

Have a great Day!
Mark

Thanks Mark :icon_sunny:

northren michigan?were any of those scraps copper?indians there made points and such out of the native copper up there. jamey

Hey Jamey,
Naw, not any of that kind of scraps at the old fairgrounds or the old campsight.

Most all of the copper up here would actually be from the Mound Builders, as the indians from the 1700's on really didn't do much of anything with copper.
Some very very interesting history on copper here in Michigan. Spear points are the holy grail of copper artifacts. Friend of mine actually found a great one.

HH
Mark

Very cool pocket watch. I also live in Michigan and just started 2 weeks ago detecting. Hopefully the weather will continue to warm up without much snow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back