Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hooked up today with "diggin brains," who is a silent member of TNet. He picked me up early and we headed north around 7;30 a.m.
We were swinging the coil by 9. It was a little nippy and even when the sun came out, the temps never got above 40 degrees.
I guess the fact that we were deep in the woods, the chilly wind never got to us.

We Located the foundation of a house that I researched a number of years ago. It was built around 1804. The same year that City Hall in NYC was completed. (Actually, the north façade of City Hall was completed after the Opening Day Ceremonies in 1804)

I know that this spot has been hit before but the area is really pretty and I always wanted to search the grounds as the original owner was a very wealthy man and is said to have held numerous Garden Parties. He held onto the property until his death in 1854.
We didn't find a whole bunch but we did find a few nice coins. My find of the day was an 1898 Barber Dime that was black when it came out of the ground. It cleaned up really nice and looks like it was dropped the day after it left the mint.
Besides swinging the coil, I took the time to do a little exploring. I found a few cellar holes, the remains of a few outhouses, and lots of wildlife. I managed to take a few pictures of one deer that approached me as if it was looking for a handout. (No Fear)
It was a great day, and a great hunt. Good Hunting to Everyone in 2016
IMG_2745.JPG IMG_2746.JPG IMG_2744.JPG IMG_2747.JPG IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2750.JPG IMG_2759.JPG IMG_2755.JPG

Upvote 22

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for not posting the " remains " of those outhouses:laughing7:
That Barber is what it is all about. Great job and pics.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Barber! I can't find one to save my life.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go ATW! The Barber dime is in excellent shape. Nice others were in the finds. Just curious, how did that dead raccoon ring up on your ETRAC ? ferrous or conductive?

Congratulations my friend well done.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go ATW! The Barber dime is in excellent shape. Nice others were in the finds. Just curious, how did that dead raccoon ring up on your ETRAC ? ferrous or conductive?

Congratulations my friend well done.
That raccoon kind of scared me. You don't usually see them during the day , unless they are sick,, as in rabies.

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the Barber, that's a great way to start out the new year! :thumbsup:
Love your onsite pics too, it's nice to be able get some perspective on the site you were on.

Dave

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job again ATW. You finished 2015 strong, & your off to the races in the start of 2016.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a part of a Toy Cannon?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a hose nozzle. Or at least part of one.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is that a part of a Toy Cannon?
I think it's a hose attachment sprayer Cru.

Nice going on the Barber Dime it's a great way of starting the 2016 collection off. Little privy digging might provide some interesting results, don't fret it's all organic now. :)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start, good work!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a hose nozzle. Or at least part of one.

Easy when you say it, I knew it looked wrong as it had no attachment pegs (forgot proper name), that's why I said 'part', thinking it was just the top half. Some were 2 pieces, not firing types. Although the modern looking brass should have given it away. Cheers

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice way to start the year. Maybe a sign of good things to come. I'm curious how you cleaned the two wheat pennies so that they look brand new right where the dates are? I'm pretty lazy and just clean the date to see if it is a key date but it never looks like yours.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ATW! I would hit that place hard for a while. Great silver coin. Sub 8-)

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Barber is beautiful! Just curious what are the three long shaped objects to the right of the hose nozzle? I have found a few in my day and wondered what the heck they were.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs ATW, If she's a beauty I'd say she looks like a dude. Congrats on pulling that sweet Barber. They are as scarce as hens teeth in my neck of the woods. I have only dug 2 Barbers, one a year seems to be my limit.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scrape off the surface dirt with a wooden toothpick and water. I polish the date area with a Q-tip and then give it a very light coat of olive oil to highlight the date before taking a picture.
Nice way to start the year. Maybe a sign of good things to come. I'm curious how you cleaned the two wheat pennies so that they look brand new right where the dates are? I'm pretty lazy and just clean the date to see if it is a key date but it never looks like yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread