First hunt with the Quest Pro... Silver!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It went pretty well, once I started to get the hang of it....
Started out slow...took me about a half hour swinging over clad targets to fine tune the machine.
There really isn't any info from other hunters, so it was on me to figure out the best and easy way to get depth. Found that after increasing the threshold, the background chatter had to be tuned out, as the targets did sound off regularly. The gain, or sensitivity, I set at 70, after trying both higher and lower levels. I did discriminate out all targets below 40, this feature worked well, as the permission I was on was loaded with nails and trash...
The biggest challenge was pinpointing... I have more to learn, as my plugs were off target, most of the day. The empty lot was forgiving of my recovery efforts...if I am more patient, the pinpointing of the targets should be quicker.
So, the hunt itself got cut short....the Quest Pro is weather proof, but I am not. My best naps are during afternoon rains.
image.jpeg
The 1936 Mercury dime was literally my first target...boy was I happy!
After that, the keepers were few and far between, as I dug ALOT of trash, but that was more the location of the hunt more than anything. The 7 wheats, key, compact and lipstick were nice finds...
The best was the small silver thing. It looks like an Egyptian scarab beetle charm, there are holes on either side, but doesn't go all the way through. Not marked, but tested positive for silver.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Overall, the Quest Pro is a capable machine, but challenging....only because of my limited time with it. Going forward, I expect to be more efficient with targeting the buried metal.

Upvote 20

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd much rather have that balmy 52 instead of below freezing. 52 is an easy MDing temperature.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am itching to get out and give it another go....

problem is, its only 52 degrees, and windy, so I'll hang out for a while till it warms up.

ooooohhhhhh you pooooor baby! only 52? you ought to be on the government teat! you baby

I only could hate you more if the patriots had won the SB ( ohhh yeah that was Peyton wasn't it?)

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ooooohhhhhh you pooooor baby! only 52? you ought to be on the government teat! you baby

I only could hate you more if the patriots had won the SB ( ohhh yeah that was Peyton wasn't it?)

Aren't you due for a trip to banned camp?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, the scarab was once part of a ring. The ring shank was U-shaped and had pins that went in the little hollow openings at the ends of the scarab. It was a seal ring where it was meant to be worn with the scarab up, and used as a wax seal with the bottom rotated to the top to stamp one's seal into wax. It is likely a reproduction rather than an original ancient piece.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beauty digs Dave. If a new machine can find you a silver coin right away, it's a beautiful thing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread