Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to happen sometime. I have my first non-pay customer. I have emailed the buyer a couple of times and at first they responded and now no communications at all. What are my options? I really don't want to make the buyer look bad. I think they paid more then they wanted. Got caught up in the bidding. I can understand that and do not want to punished the buyer. I had one that was the same and finally got back to me, had personnel issues and was unable to pay and asked for some more time which I gave and they paid like the said. Maybe the same for this buyer. It has been 8 days since the end of the auction. Last communications was "please send first class mail" I responded OK. What is the best way to approach this?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the buyer in the US?

You can contact eBay for assistance, or, you could
just relist the item. I would not leave feedback for
the buyer that welched.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the buyer in the US?

You can contact eBay for assistance, or, you could
just relist the item. I would not leave feedback for
the buyer that welched.

Yes the buyer is in the US.

So if I just relist it lets the buyer off the hook from paying. I think I will send an email thru ebay that I will relist if I do not hear from them by Thursday. Should I block them from buying before I send the email? Does relisting the items prevent them from leaving feedback? Thanks

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no approach.

Ebay already has the non paying buyer process ironed out. Follow their standard procedures (which is automated) and be done with it.

This person is a stranger and these are just "things" being bought and sold. Don't think into it so much. Business is business.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open an unpaid item case, after a few days, you can relist and the buyer has a strike. Don't feel bad, they broke their agreement and no one twisted their arm to bid.

icyheart

Mar 8, 2014
Alabama
Detector(s) used
lol el cheapo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will get a fair share of non payers but it'll all turn out to the good.. just wait till ebay lets a buyer get away with lying and proof of the lie.. that will raise the blood pressure...

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't done it yet, you should to go into your account settings and setup automatic rules for non-paying buyers. I have it set so that after four days ebay automatically starts the process. They will try to contact the buyer for you for a few days and then if the buyer doesn't pay, they will refund your fees and relist the item automatically. Otherwise, you will now need to manual start the process with ebay.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I agree with mkulltra. Once you file the buyer has additional days to pay. If they don't pay they get a strike on their account. If you don't file you lose the fees & the buyer is able to continue non-paying other sellers. I'd have to go back & check but I'm pretty sure I have my account set up where people with too many unpaid item strikes can't bid on or buy my items.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not leave feedback for the buyer that welched.

I bought a silver dollar from a lady there, received it but it was in a standard envelope. The corner was torn and the dollar gone (Postal service wouldn't do that, right?), but I could see the imprint of the dollar left on the envelope. The mistake she made was just sticking it in a plain envelope. I contacted her and told her the story, and that I was not going to leave her feedback, if I told the truth it would hurt her.

I tried to talk her out of sending me a replacement, but she sent it anyway. I do bet she learned a lesson there!

I gave her a very good feedback, told of her honesty.

Think about the direction you go, and your relationship with the seller. Sometimes they jump through unnecessary hoops to make the deal a really good one.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why have you waited so long?
Yeah, 8 days is crazy with no communication. You can open a case after 2. I wait 4 myself. I'll send an invoice after 48 hours, then another one 24 hours later if they still haven't paid yet or communicated with me, then I open the case the following day.

ps- Joe777Cool- what is your avatar a photo of?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why have you waited so long?

I always give a little of extra time for paying. I started doing this after I sold an item ( quite expensive) and had the same situation. Eventually they got back with me ask that I wait for another week to pay. I did and she paid. Do not know the reason behind it but I do know stuff happens.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, 8 days is crazy with no communication. You can open a case after 2. I wait 4 myself. I'll send an invoice after 48 hours, then another one 24 hours later if they still haven't paid yet or communicated with me, then I open the case the following day.

ps- joe, what is your avatar a photo of?

I finally opened a non-pay.

My avatar photo is a picture me and some Army buddies in '79 or '80 pointing to a sign that say Nudist beach. I think it was in Holland.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always give a little of extra time for paying. I started doing this after I sold an item ( quite expensive) and had the same situation. Eventually they got back with me ask that I wait for another week to pay. I did and she paid. Do not know the reason behind it but I do know stuff happens.
I have no problem waiting IF the customer contacts me to let me know they need more time. It's after 4 days go by and I have sent 2 invoices (besides the auto generated one that eBay sends) and I still get no reply, that I quit waiting and open a case.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ps- Joe777Cool- what is your avatar a photo of?
I had previously, two thoughts on that (as I had always wondered that, too), either onion bunches or monkey bread, LOL. If I take off my glasses and take the contacts out, I can actually tell it's rolls of coins standing on end and opened. LOL.

I'm set that if you got 2 strikes in 1 month, can't bid, a few ppl on my "lists", and 8 days for Ebay to auto-open non-paying bidder case. I send the invoice, then 3 or 4 days later a "friendly reminder", if nothing, Ebay handles it, and I get back my fees.
I know, I'm too nice. :laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ebay account opens a no pay case in 3 days. It's happened to me now a few times, especially on buyers with a 1 or 2 on the feedback. I think the NP habit is increasing.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like someone else mentioned, I block bidders with no feedback or that have non-pay strikes. I know I might lose some bidders but I would rather have that than dealing with scam artists, children, non-payers, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions