First PLATE of 2009, Enfield Trigger Guard AND a 211 year-old COIN!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been a while since I've posted a find here--but I have been digging lots. I figure I've got a lot to catch y'all up on. The last two weeks after the thaw have been pretty incredible. But I'll save that for a later post. What I found today I just have to share...

Went out with Hill Billy today to re-hunt an old spot that's been good to us in the past (the same site where our Kentucky State Seal button cache came to light). As you know, it has to be a new ball game to re-hunt an old site. You have to go into areas that you'd consciously or subconsciously overlooked before. You have to work out away from the obvious areas and hope that there will be something there to reward you...

Well to start off with, I left my camera at home today. :-\ So this post will not be full of the usual BuckleBoy photography of great finds as they come out of the ground.

It appears that I have Finally found a Draped Bust Large Cent--which is a VERY early find for my area. I don't think I will clean it any more, since the patina looks like it will not withstand water or peroxide cleaning.

Also in the photo below you will see the first belt plate of this year. It is a sword belt plate, and it looks like it will be a beauty. The attachment is still present on the back, and the plow didn't get her. :thumbsup:

On emptying my pockets at the house, the piece that I first thought was a drawer pull, I now believe to be a trigger guard--so there will be a bit of research involved tonight in trying to figure out which weapon it came from. :o

First off, here are some of HB's great finds:

Buttons 001.jpg

Buttons 006.jpg

Buttons 005.jpg

1844.JPG

And here are mine:

uncleaned.jpg

I believe the date is 1798, which would make it my oldest American coin and would finally break what I've termed the "Spanish Silver Curse" (finding Reales as my only 1700's coins). I can see the second digit pretty clearly--and the last one only the top loop of it...so it is more likely 1798 than 1799.

draped.jpg

Most Certainly a trigger guard. I'm thinking it's off an Enfield...

without piece.jpg

Here's the a photo of the trigger guard with a broken piece off an Enfield trigger guard I recovered at a Civil War site in Virginia years ago. :)

with piece.jpg

Part #14 in the diagram below:

enfield parts chart-1.jpg

plate front.jpg

plate back.jpg

And here is the Sword Belt Plate cleaned up. It does not have the silver applied wreath, hence it is likely an officer's plate. :thumbsup: I did a lot of toothpicking on it to remove the nasty green nodules caused by fertilizer damage (and there's still a ways to go with it), but here she is for now:

plate cleaned.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Re: First PLATE of 2009 AND a 200 year old Copper!

sweet finds!

Nice finds, that buckle looks like it should clean up pretty nice!

Great finds. A 200 year old coin and a sword belt plate that looks like its going to clean up nicely would be pretty welcome in my book.

Some of my most productive hunts have been on the third, fourth or even tenth visit to a site. I know that this means I'm not being careful enough on the first hunts, but darn...it just looks so much better "over by that tree".

Good to see your post.

MP

Congrats on the great finds. That plate and copper are fantastic!!!!

Awesome :thumbsup:
still waiting for my first plate of 2009 and my entire life
Congrats my hat is off to you

fortbball9

Awesome finds. Congrats on the sword belt plate.
Dman

:thumbsup: Looks like this week was a winner all around for your group. I think that belt plate might be one of your top finds for the year, and looks like in pretty good condition to boot. The Draped Bust, you probably did right by not going to far, perhaps a wet q-tip in the date area in hopes it is a 1700 one and not the 1800+. The drawer pull certainly is a misshapened trigger guard from what I see.
Think all of us waiting for the pics of the buckle cleaned....... :)

Don

HE"S BACK... With his usual great finds. Great SWB BB!!!

Dman said:
Awesome finds. Congrats on the sword belt plate.
Dman
Great finds!! love to seee the plate cleaned it looks awesome.

Awesome B.B.!!!That looks like an Enfield to me as well,I found the same one a while back and I think thats what it was.Great plate too!

Re: First PLATE of 2009, Enfield Trigger Guard AND a 200 year old COIN!

BB,
Clean that belt plate, you're killing us!!! ;D You lucky dog. :thumbsup: Welcome back, and way to go on an awesome hunt.
-MM-

Still working on it...

Sweeeeet !!!! I had a chance this winter to go to tenn, and do some relicing... What an intense time !!!!!

Great find dude !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BB,
Welcome back. It's been a while, wondering where you went.
Awesome buckle!!!! Congratulations!!!!
You're only 3 behind for the year :tongue3:

BB YOU ARE AT IT AGAIN. ALWAY'S FINDING THE GOOD STUFF. CONGRATS. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back