First post--some type of hand tool found in Texas?

johnmwmd

Dec 25, 2015
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, John from Colorado here. I'm new to the forum and really like what I see. I've found a few points over the years and have always kept my eyes to the ground when out hiking or hunting!

I was a 10 year old kid out with my Dad who was deer hunting when I found this artifact around 1967 in a dry sandy wash in Eastland County, TX--near Cisco. I never could figure out what it was, but it fit well in my hand and had an interesting shape. No sharp edges, so I didn't think it was a scraper, but thought it was some type of a hand tool. I also found a partially finished arrowhead on that same trip (lower right in the photo). Any ideas about the hand tool?

artifact_2.jpg artifact_5.jpg artifact_7.jpg artifact_8.jpg

Attachments

• artifact_6.jpg
    artifact_6.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been a weapon. But definitely at least a tool. Nice.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice rock to me but naturally shaped. Welcome to the site

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I would say the piece in question is probably not an artifact. But the other pieces are great .

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have found many symmetrical stones that beg to be artifacts but aren't. The key to yours is there are no wear marks on a stone type that would show a lot of wear were it in fact an artifact. Add to that that it is small and has an irregular profile. having said that, we all would have picked it up and added it to the pile in the garden.

OP
OP
J

johnmwmd

Dec 25, 2015
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good points--it was cool looking, but I never could see how it would have been useful for anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions