Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But to be honest I only got out twice in 2014 and 2015 due to family obligations. I only got out a few times in late 2016.

Okay I hunted the local high school yard last Saturday for about 30 minutes. Found two cars.

0813171517.jpg

I hit the patch of dirt next to my door, an approximately 5 ft. by 18" area, and came up with 37 pieces of junk (40 if u include the three pieces of glass. Only found 3 zincolns as keepers. All found with my Garrett carrot.

37 to 1.jpg

Today I spent 3 hours at a local park. I searched a volleyball pit and 3/4 of a tot lot. Honestly I have never searched a cleaner park. The junk finds were minimal. So were the good finds.

My junk finds ;
. 0813171522.jpg

My goodies were 3 zincolns, a numbered tag, and a mood ring.

0813171524a.jpg

The best was a conversation I had. Long story short I have been asked to help find a ring. I'll be going to her property in two weeks to look for it. She offered to pay me even if I didn't find it. I told her absolutely not. That most MDist do this as a service. I am both nervous and excited about this. This is a custom made birthstone gold ring n I really want to find this ring.

Last edited:
Upvote 32

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with any service, it's ok to charge or not charge, but tips are always welcome.
As for finding the ring, focus on any short consistent tones below a penny. It's probably going to be similar to a pull tab tone or war nickle if it's 10k or 14k. Good luck, you can do it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all hope you find that ring. Usually when someone asks me to find a ring, the first thing I do is ask them to show me where they think they lost it. It's usually never in that general vicinity so ask her about every path in her yard she took that day.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also consider where a lawnmower could have tossed it (edges), and if/where leaves are raked. I found my neighbors wedding ring among his pile of leaves. On two other instances I was never able to recover the ring because they scalped their lawns with their lawnmower and likely tossed the ring completely off their property. Another failed to tell me they added 6" of topsoil to their yard after the ring was lost. Some times it takes more than one try, but either way, don't let it bug you if it doesn't turn up. Just remember that if they actually knew where it was, it wouldn't be lost.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds...Good luck on the ring hunt. I plan on looking for one later this fall as well.:occasion14:

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good on ya for offering up your services. I too do not charge for looking or finding but I do ask if it would be OK if I detect the rest of the property.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the ring.(!).
And it appears a ring leads to another ring...

Good serendipity .:icon_thumright:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck with your attempt to find that ring- keep us posted..

-- Jeff --

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As soon as you find it, because you will, let us know! HH

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I so hope you find that lady's ring,it's so rewarding just to find it and have someone thrilled to get it back.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there NOT a patch of dirt you WON'T hunt?!?:dontknow::laughing7: I have visions of you rooting around with your carrot at the bus stop and other small bare spots of dirt. I reckon one day you'll stumble across something very cool. I and many others are very hopeful you will indeed find the ladies birthstone ring. As far as an "exchange" for your services I'd ask for permission to hunt the property. And perhaps she can get you some more spots to hunt as well. You can DO IT!!!:headbang:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If she had a piece of gold the same gold you could get an exact vdi number. Plus you will know that it wont be deeper than an inch to help narrow it down some Good luck

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everybody for the advice. The loss is not recent. But I forget to ask how long its been. Fortunately she knows exactly how she lost it. It went flying off when she was gardening and tossed a weed. So I should be able to limit the search to half of the front yard.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on the recovery of the ring...you have everyone sending good vibes your way...may the force be with you!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on finding the ring. Run your discrimination low, and dig everything (even pull tab signals) so you dont miss it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread