What's new

First run at hunting rolls

SMPress

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
So I think that I have ruined myself for this hobby. I started off with some road trips made during my lunch hour. I ordered boxes on Monday, but was told that they wouldn’t be in until next week. I had some luck finding halves at only 1 bank out of 30 something… Here are my finds thus far:

Monday:
Searched 800 Quarters
Found:
4 Bicentennials

Tuesday:
Searched 511 Halves, 1200 Quarters, 1000 Dimes, and 1000 Pennies
Found:
9 Wheats
1 Canadian
209 Pre ‘82
6 pennies for my collection, including my first 2009 different back pennies
1 Mercury
1 Silver Roosevelt
13 Dimes for my collection
5 Bicentennial Quarters
12 Quarters for my collection
1 Franklin
68 40%
15 90%
3 Proofs
3 Halves for my collection

Wednesday:
Searched 1000 Dimes and 2000 Quarters
Found:
2 Wheats
8 Canadian
2 pennies for my collection
374 Pre ‘82
1 Silver Roosevelt

Thursday:
Searched 800 Quarters
Found:
7 Bicentennials
10 Quarters for my collection
1 Silver Washington


I feel like I did so well with the halves that I will be forever disappointed by any further hunting of them!!!
The silver quarter today was on the end of the roll, I saw it as soon as I walked out of the bank.
If I keep collecting these pre ’82 pennies, I am going to need to find someone to sell them to, I will have a bucket full in no time.

No more hunting for me until next week, I need to go metal detecting tomorrow, and no banks on Sunday…
 
Upvote 0
sounds like this is your new job? nice half finds
 
When i picked up the halves, I asked the teller if she had any. She had a couple in her tray, no silver. I told her I would take them, didn't want to ask, then not buy them! The drive through teller walked over and said they had some under the counter. She pulled out a roll and said "Oh, these are old and dirty, you probably don't want these" She wasn't joking either, she really thought that I would not want them. I left trying to not get my hopes up...
 
I have gotten the "These are old and dirty, you probably dont want them" multiple times. Nine out of ten times they are silver. I still am amazed how tellers are so clueless...
 
good haul Wtg.
 
IMHO

I would not waste any money hanging on to those Bicentennial Quarters.

Mojo
 
The coins might've been tarnished? When I first started collecting.. I didn't like toning on silver coins. I even used an erasor to scrub out the toning on a 64 half. Now I realize that nicely toned coins in nice condition command a premium. Now I appreciate a nicely toned half..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom