Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
First I'd like to say if anyone is considering to upgrade to the XP Deus, do it, you will not be disappointed.
So this was the 4th time I took the Deus out, been learning the machine in my yard, found about 20 coins my other detector missed. I decided to go back in the woods where I have a few spots that a pretty riddled with iron, not positive what the sites were, early 1900's I'm guessing from the V nickels, IHP's and barber dimes I have found. These seven 1945 Pitman-Moore Rabies Vaccine tags I found were the 2nd target I dug, they are in numerical sequence, 24692-24700 (missing 24798). I'm guessing whoever dropped these was a vaccinator? Any other ideas please let me know what you think.

RVT.jpg

So it was getting late, I was hungry and the coyotes started howling thanks to a fire truck that blew its siren. Had about a 10 minute walk down the path out of the woods, then another 5 minutes through my field to my house. Now I know I cant be the only one who has detected a path 50 times walking in and out to your spots you pound. Well I didn't turn my detector back on until I got to my field, although I thought to myself "you have detected this 4 wheeler path 50 times, why bother". An upgraded machine is why. So I get a real nice semi shallow hit right on the tire path, (you can see the hole on the right side tire path)

path.jpg

it seemed to big to be a coin, plus how could I miss a coin since I've ran detectors down this path 50 times before. The Deus will (sometimes, not sure why just sometimes) ring up large iron, like washers, as coins. Anyway in my mind, new detector = dig. I'm glad I did. The coin was standing up on it's edge about 5 inches down in clay below the topsoil, couldn't believe it. The only downside is that someone did something to this beauty, to me it looks as if someone put the coin between a nail and hammered it with something. The odd thing is that on the reverse there's a pimple where the nail or whatever it was trying to push through, something you wouldn't expect from a hammer blow. Plus there's an odd pattern on the reverse where the pimple is, not sure what happened here, any ideas? Thanks for any thoughts!

SLQ1.jpg SLQ2.jpg

Upvote 12

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wonder how much I miss with my detector. I know there's much better detectors out there besides the AT pro... As for the coin I'm jealous, but it's kind of scary in the fact it looks like someone deliberately made it look like the woman is being stabbed with something on the front and the eagle is being scratched by some animal on the back haha. Maybe I just have a big imagination!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damaged or not beautiful coin

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it, I would be so happy to find that. I so want to find some seated! I still have not got my seated yet.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forget the damage, a seated quarter is a seated quarter is a seated quarter. I'll take one anytime in any condition. I've been detecting for years and have found twice as many half reals as seated quarters. Nice find.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find. Congrats.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
she's a beauty to me, someday way in the future I hope to have a xp deus.... I would say when my ship comes in but out here in Ark it will have to be a train! LOL

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Each coin tells a story, some more than others. Great find and she's a beauty!

-Happy Hunting!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer Finds!...Im still dreaming of finding a seated anything ...Literally, I dream about this

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tedyoh, that quarter is sweet, and would be a really great find if not for that damage, still, it a really great find! That damage looks like it got hammered with a nail on one side, and a file on the other. Weird! Curious! Strange! Gosh, dont you wish you could slip back in time to the exact moment that coin got smacked?

I know there's much better detectors out there besides the AT pro...

I agree, man. I love my ATP, but I sure would love to have a Deus!

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Seated Quarter. Still on the wish list for me. Way to go.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, smashed or not, it's still silver and it's still beautiful.
Congrats.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone - all I really wanted, Diggin-N-Dumps, was a silver from the 1800's, finally got it after 3 years, my oldest before was a 1906 barber dime. Higgy, I was thinking about that today, especially since my family are the original owners of this property, purchased in 1921....who knows, maybe (hopefully) it was my great grandfathers! Now I can't wait to go back to PA and re-hit our 1850's foundations, just need the weeds to die and the ground not to freeze to early. If there's silver there this deus will find what the ATP couldn't.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find!congrats

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone - all I really wanted, Diggin-N-Dumps, was a silver from the 1800's, finally got it after 3 years, my oldest before was a 1906 barber dime. Higgy, I was thinking about that today, especially since my family are the original owners of this property, purchased in 1921....who knows, maybe (hopefully) it was my great grandfathers! Now I can't wait to go back to PA and re-hit our 1850's foundations, just need the weeds to die and the ground not to freeze to early. If there's silver there this deus will find what the ATP couldn't.
I want to buy a minelab or Deus for next season and since I graduate in December I will have the money to do so... What do you think makes the difference between the Deus and ATP do you think there's more depth or just discrimination? I know it's a better machine but just for my knowledge I want to better understand what makes the difference

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to buy a minelab or Deus for next season and since I graduate in December I will have the money to do so... What do you think makes the difference between the Deus and ATP do you think there's more depth or just discrimination? I know it's a better machine but just for my knowledge I want to better understand what makes the difference

I'm still very much learning this machine, more depth for sure than my ATP, and it has this "Reactivity" setting - I love it - in higher trashy areas you can increase the setting and it's like a laser beam cutting through the dirt, really picks out the good from the bad, I was amazed on how many coins I found in my yard that my ATP missed....there are so many settings you can "tweak" to what you need and it's really not confusing to understand. You could use any one of the ten factory programs (also adjustable) and it will blow the ATP away. Only negative thing I can really say is if you are running a higher frequency, the deus will ring up aluminum siding slivers up in the coin range. Bart at BBH's will be able to answer any questions you have a lot better than me, great guy to work with.

I love my ATP but it will be set aside for rainy days and water hunts.

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still very much learning this machine, more depth for sure than my ATP, and it has this "Reactivity" setting - I love it - in higher trashy areas you can increase the setting and it's like a laser beam cutting through the dirt, really picks out the good from the bad, I was amazed on how many coins I found in my yard that my ATP missed....there are so many settings you can "tweak" to what you need and it's really not confusing to understand. You could use any one of the ten factory programs (also adjustable) and it will blow the ATP away. Only negative thing I can really say is if you are running a higher frequency, the deus will ring up aluminum siding slivers up in the coin range. Bart at BBH's will be able to answer any questions you have a lot better than me, great guy to work with. I love my ATP but it will be set aside for rainy days and water hunts.
thanks I will definitely look into getting one in the spring. Good luck with the new detector!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread