First SLQ....1877 CC Carson City...Really?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My fourth visit to permission school house and I find a neat little star doohickey and then I find a silver coin! It sure is sweet to dig and feel and dig and pull that shiny silver out the soft brown dirt. My heart leaps. I see it is a seated liberty and I comprehend that it is a bit larger than the only other coin similar to this which was a seated liberty dime. It is a silver quarter in excellent condition. I notice the year....1877...the year this school was founded! The coin looks to be in great shape. Then I think....this coin is meant to be with this school and my heart sort of sinks at the idea of not "having" it in my collection as my first SLQ. I look the coin up and find that it has a CC mint mark which I had never heard of.."Carson City"...which in itself is surrounded with some mystery.
Collection of Carson City quarter a mystery - Numismatic NewsNumismatic News
Over 4,000,000 minted....but now I want to keep it even MORE and rationalize that it would be sitting in an empty building with few visitors who wouldn't appreciate it.....and what will happen to the building eventually anyways...? Maybe I can "will it" to them. Maybe I can create something with images of it that can be sold to raise funds..I feel conflicted with my materialistic "want to own it" and my spiritual "want to give it" sides... I am grateful for the experience and permission and story that it generated! I wonder if it was dropped at a school opening the year it opened? I wonder if someone buried it on purpose? Maybe after spending some time with it, it will be easier to give up! Then again.....??? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351690.351342.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351714.272897.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351730.324769.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351742.565869.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351752.310662.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351765.630292.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351780.961625.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351793.000696.jpg

Upvote 38

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I say keep it! It's not going to mean as much to anyone else as it does to you. You know it's story.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. If you promised it to the landowner, give it to them. If you didn't, keep it and enjoy it.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s a beautiful find and you got to see it first since it was lost years ago!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That SLQ is a beauty....Congrats on the save.. :thumbsup:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 30 years, I've never found a Carson City anything, very nice.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The star item looks like a candle holder base, just a thought on that one.
Congrats on the silver quarter, a very nice recovery.

Now I don't know the story behind the permission or what the deal is on the finds. Is the school still standing? Were all the finds to be turned over? Is there a historical display explaining the history and the school? You seem to be torn on doing the right thing with this silver.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that awesome score. :occasion14: You rescued her, she's your's to keep. I have yet to pull an old coin from any of the old 1 room school house sites that I've hunted. Seems like detecting was big around my area back in the 70's & 80's. I sure would like to dig a CC or O mint mark coin.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice quarter. One thing for sure, she's yours to do with whatever you want

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes keep it! You don't only know it's story, *YOU* are now a *PART* of it's story!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful coin recovery! :occasion14:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
That Lady has been waiting for you for a long time. If there is any duty involved, it is for you to have and hold and relate her past to those interested. If it were me, it would be love at first sight.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure of any prior agreement with the property owner for turning the good finds over to them. If it were me I would have made an exception for first finds. Perhaps if you are torn in your spirit as to what to do you can replace it with another similar example off Ebay. It will cost you a pretty "penny" as your coin is a real stunner!

Personally I would make sure to clarify the first finds as going to my collection of goods prior to hunting a permission. I can only imagine finding that sweet old coin and having to give it away. I'd be "torn" too! I'll leave a link on a fine example off Ebay. They aren't cheap to get them in the same condition as yours. Very nice recovery.:headbang:

1877-CC SEATED LIBERTY QUARTER - NICE SOLID XF PRICED RIGHT! | eBay

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice CC coin!!!!!! That mint eludes me!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It s a great coin recovery for sure! Congrats.

Side note - when people say "SLQ" it is normally meant to refer to a "Standing Liberty Quarter". What you dug is usually just called a "Seated", as in "I dug a seated quarter today"

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoot man, Keep that joker. Too hard to come by to just give away, even though your heart is in the right place. It is a Beauty!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The star item looks like a candle holder base, just a thought on that one.
Congrats on the silver quarter, a very nice recovery.

Now I don't know the story behind the permission or what the deal is on the finds. Is the school still standing? Were all the finds to be turned over? Is there a historical display explaining the history and the school? You seem to be torn on doing the right thing with this silver.

Thanks pepperj and everyone for the congrats and input on keep or give. The property technically is town property being rented by heritage society who suggested I check around to see what could be found. No talk of them wanting any of it but wanted me to show and tell to the group later in the year. I have made two donations to the heritages society to support their work. There is a
historical display of sorts, in the building which is used for a variety of things and is also available to rent out to others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread