First time out with Equinox 800

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Really hard to give a general opinion after one use on frozen ground...did find a few softer spots... But got out yesterday (2/16)... and for anyone thinking about getting one...
The good...
Lightweight... Easy to handle... preset programs seem ok
The will not say bad.. the uncertain as I have used one time and can only compare to my other 3 detectors...
The depth reading should be better.. I could not dig deep as the ground was chunky and where not chunky... puddled... basically it reads either 2,4, 6 inches or deeper.. not very specific...

Would like to see the vdi lock in on coins a little better.. seemed to like to jump from at least 2 numbers...

Also with the vdi would like to see the numbers themself spaced a little more numbers wise... seemed like they are right on top of each other for the coins...suggestion get used to listening...

Found $1.24 in clad , a kiddie token and part of a broken spoon... My thought if you are going to put in the time and learn the detector using more than 2 to 3 times a month... probably worth it.. as I am counting on this being a little deeper than my past detectors... I am the type to make it work for me... as I will put the hours in...at this point seems like a revved-up explorer... quick response and you can tinker with the 800..which is a must for me...

Attachments

• equinox 2 16  22.jpg
    equinox 2 16 22.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 9

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really hard to give a general opinion after one use on frozen ground...did find a few softer spots... But got out yesterday (2/16)... and for anyone thinking about getting one...
The good...
Lightweight... Easy to handle... preset programs seem ok
The will not say bad.. the uncertain as I have used one time and can only compare to my other 3 detectors...
The depth reading should be better.. I could not dig deep as the ground was chunky and where not chunky... puddled... basically it reads either 2,4, 6 inches or deeper.. not very specific...

Would like to see the vdi lock in on coins a little better.. seemed to like to jump from at least 2 numbers...

Also with the vdi would like to see the numbers themself spaced a little more numbers wise... seemed like they are right on top of each other for the coins...suggestion get used to listening...

Found $1.24 in clad , a kiddie token and part of a broken spoon... My thought if you are going to put in the time and learn the detector using more than 2 to 3 times a month... probably worth it.. as I am counting on this being a little deeper than my past detectors... I am the type to make it work for me... as I will put the hours in...at this point seems like a revved-up explorer... quick response and you can tinker with the 800..which is a must for me...
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait till the ground is soft then the machine will sing. I wish it had 0-99 scale for sure but i can live with the 50 scale. I find that the 50 tone sound works well and compliments the vdi. Once you get deeper targets the depth meter will make sense. My first silver with it was a walker half at 10 inches. Dang near blew my ears out.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
You will love the 800!! I had a 600 then went to the 800, outstanding on the beach. I have the new Deus 2 and I’ll probably stick with my Nox on the beach

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Wait till the ground is soft then the machine will sing. I wish it had 0-99 scale for sure but i can live with the 50 scale. I find that the 50 tone sound works well and compliments the vdi. Once you get deeper targets the depth meter will make sense. My first silver with it was a walker half at 10 inches. Dang near blew my ears out.
Got out a second time the vdi jumping all over but already realize...listen to the tones poor vdi except for nickel and quarter.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
You will love the 800!! I had a 600 then went to the 800, outstanding on the beach. I have the new Deus 2 and I’ll probably stick with my Nox on the beach
Thank you got out a second time...found out a few things...going to post for those thinking about getting a nox...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread