First trip to beach in 2008 yields my first cob for 2008

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
My first MD trip to the beach in 2008. Nothing exciting but at least I didn't get skunked. Its still wet and I haven't really taken the time to study it yet. I'm not sure of the orientation of the monogram or whatever is on that side so if someone can point out some features on that side that would be helpful. Its half real size.

Thanks

cob108f.jpg

co108b.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This image is of the reverse side of the cob. The configuration is correct: Two lions and two castles, signifying the merger of the two medieval kingdoms of Leon (lion) and Castilla (castle).
The 'globes' at the end of the cross indicates Mexico.
Can you post a pic of the obverse?

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Mackaydon said:
The obverse just "appeared": thanks

I now think the picture has the obverse upside down. After studying, my best guess is Phillip III, as unlikely as that would seem to me because I think it would put the date at 1610, but it seems like the best match on the obverse design that I can find. The rather clear "V" is slightly above and between the "P" and "S" which you can only see the top of on this coin. Mexican mint as you pointed out. In the illustration in my book I can't see what all that is that would be over the "v".

Thanks for your info.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks good! Nice find!

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IndianRiverSonrise said:
My first MD trip to the beach in 2008. Nothing exciting but at least I didn't get skunked. Its still wet and I haven't really taken the time to study it yet. I'm not sure of the orientation of the monogram or whatever is on that side so if someone can point out some features on that side that would be helpful. Its half real size.

Thanks

cob108f.jpg

co108b.jpg

Nothing exciting!!!!!!!! I would be dancing for days with a find like that, CONGRATS

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Mackaydon said:
Guessing:
Filipe II or Carlos II; each has that "P" image.
Don........

I'm going to have to find the time to find a better picture of a Mexican Carlos II. The examples I have in my books are none too good.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Great find...
For three years in a row I used to go to Florida to look for
spanish coins from the plate fleet...
Never found anything.
Lucky you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread