The Treasure Coast and Native Florida Indians

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
I have been to some museums that have gold and silver artifacts used as headdresses and other ceremonial garb. I have a few questions.

Where do you think they mined this silver and gold living in Florida?

Where are the closest gold and silver mines to Florida?

Does Florida have any gold or silver mines?

Could the indians have come into possession of gold and silver from the treasure coast and melted it down for jewelry?

How did they melt this down to form trinkets and such?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You asked: Where are the closest gold and silver mines to Florida?
North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Virginia had/have gold mines.
Sourece: http://www.goldmaps.com/east.html

In the cobwebs of my mind, I seem to recall that in both Cuba and Jamaica there were gold mines.

Don.....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the Tequestas and the Caloosas go, the gold must have been gotten from the Indians of the nearest gold regions. I'm sure some of it may have come from the wrecks of the Spanish galleons or those of the buccaneers who frequented the coast and as a malleable metal it may have been shaped by hammering. As a rule Indian ornamentation was confined to shells and other easily obtainable trinkets.

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
I have seen a lot of 3-4 inch round disc's used as ornaments for the head that looks like silver cobs that have been flattened out. They have that blackish tint in some areas but you can tell that they are silver in other areas. Thanks for your replies.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
armchairQB30 said:
I have been to some museums that have gold and silver artifacts used as headdresses and other ceremonial garb.
armchairQB30 said:
I have seen a lot of 3-4 inch round disc's used as ornaments for the head that looks like silver cobs that have been flattened out. They have that blackish tint in some areas but you can tell that they are silver in other areas. Thanks for your replies.
Where have you seen these? What museum? Do you have pics or a link? I would like to see these. Are they South Florida native Indians (Calusa, Ais)?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ray S ECenFL said:
Don't forget that the Indians also picked up treasue from sunken ships.

Ray S.
Yes they did, but very few reworked gold and silver has been found. Pegleg found some coins that the Ais Indians tried to rework and showed us. Here is a gold medallion found in Chokoluskee. calusa gold.jpg
http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/1096/9610ot.html I would like to see pics of these other Indian "headdresses and other ceremonial garb" and I am awaiting a response from ArmchairQB30.

Attachments

• calusa gold.jpg
    calusa gold.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 890

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
armchairQB30 said:
Could the indians have come into possession of gold and silver from the treasure coast and melted it down for jewelry?

How did they melt this down to form trinkets and such?

Your comments would be appreciated.
Pegleg also found these near Wabasso that he says was an attempt by the Indians to melt down Spanish silver. The round object is a silver clump melted in a cast iron pan. These were on display at his Expo 2007.

Attachments

• pegleg melted silver.jpg
    pegleg melted silver.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 828
OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Bigcypress,

That is some awesome information you posted, very interesting. I will be posting some pics shortly. Thanks.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
armchairQB30 said:
Bigcypress,

That is some awesome information you posted, very interesting. I will be posting some pics shortly. Thanks.
In this hobby we like to share information; maybe I talk too much. :-\

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
armchairQB30 said:
Bigcypress,

No, you don't. stvn.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
At the Expo Pegleg was talking to me about this subject and another man who I didn't know and they were talking about pieces of eight being found on Indian mounds around Sebastian on some kind of island or inlet. Peglet said the mud was terrible to try and reach the spot when the tide was low. I do not know if the pictures you have here are the pieces he was talking about or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread