How would i go about finding a cob?

As a reader to the posts here I can tell you that people have posted cob finds from the old Spanish trails in California. The only beach find that I have read was less than a month ago, a man detecting on an isolated beach near San Francisco found a Spanish cob. You can read this account in the "Treasure in the news" site on this forum. You could research the area and see what wreck sites are there and if they are Spanish or not.

I have about 6 cobs that were dug in California. One is a 1/2 reale shown here on TN, several are the so-called Vellon or copper/silver alloy (mostly copper) maravedis cobs, and one is a solid copper maravedis.

I also have one odd ball maravedis that I believe is nearly 100% silver. This also was dug in California.

Southern California is rich in cobs (mostly maravedis) due the the long-term Spanish occupation. Some think the Spanish used the maravedis cobs for trade with the Indians. I've heard of one arrowhead found that was made from a copper maravedis cob.

I have a friend who hunts the farm lands of southern Cal and the stuff he finds wouldn't be believed if he posted them here. The best farmlands are in very remote areas that require 4-wheel drive.

If I lived in California and had a good job, I'd sign up with the real-time satellite and check out certain areas at various times during the month of December when the farmers till the soil. It's something of a long shot but could be worth it. December is when groups of THers hit the hottest long forgotten mission/trading post sites off the old Spanish trails. I know of groups who have done this for years. Every year they dig hundreds of cobs copper, silver, and gold. Sound too good to be true? Trust me this is true and I know it firsthand. The cobs in my California collection were dug by members of one such group.

You are very fortunate to live in a state with such awesome history.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back