First weekend out with Bounty Hunter LRP

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday afternoon I took a drive to a local Wildlife Refuge/park that I know I have seen other people medal detecting but wanted to try out my new Bounty hunter LRP. Lots of pull taps at first but kept up with it.

1 1984 quarter
1 1976 penny
1 1977 dime
1 1979 dime
1 2012 dime
1 1982 dime

and one button :laughing7:

IMG_20160626_145315.jpg
IMG_20160626_145325.jpg

Today (Sunday) whent to a small beach and found

1 1973 penny
1 1975 penny
1 2013 dime
1 2003 dime
1 2004 dime

IMG_20160626_145333.jpg

Sorry not the best pictures but ya get the idea :laughing7:

mr

Last edited:
Upvote 14

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a couple good hunts just a matter of time and you'll be into the silver and gold. Good luck

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT all comes in time gold silver ect. Great start I save all my coins in mason jars for pennies nickels dimes ect and keep my rings in a ring case and all silver and special coins in coin holders it makes funner.I keep a spred shhet of where I find older coins ect a lot of research helps also Great job!!!

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year my boyfriend bought me a bounty hunter lone star pro last year for my birthday this year we bought a garret at pro. The bounty hunter isn't bad it's good for beginners. And it loves iron lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Appears you had a good hunt, congratualtions! GL & HH

OP
OP
muddyrock

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT all comes in time gold silver ect. Great start I save all my coins in mason jars for pennies nickels dimes ect and keep my rings in a ring case and all silver and special coins in coin holders it makes funner.I keep a spred shhet of where I find older coins ect a lot of research helps also Great job!!!

Great idea on keeping them coins organized!! My other half (Mrs muddyrock) would never go for having multi mason jars of coins lol. What did come to mind was a plastic organizer I had kicking around the garage.

IMG_20160626_175944.jpg

Even got a couple extra slots for misc finds also. Thanks for the great idea :occasion14:

mr

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wildlife refuges are off limits. They are federal land and it is illegal to detect there. My father was USFWS officer for 40 years, you will be arrested if caught.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Muddyrock congrats on your clad finds - easy to clean - please be careful treasure hunting on federal land - anyway thank you for sharing your pictures and story with us & I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

OP
OP
muddyrock

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildlife refuges are off limits. They are federal land and it is illegal to detect there. My father was USFWS officer for 40 years, you will be arrested if caught.

:o I had no idea, I just assumed it was ok because I have seen a few people in the past detecting there. I should know better than to assume. I do thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will not be returning back there with my detector. I have been looking up the mass laws and glad I did, state parks are a no no as well. However years back I did go to state park and I asked the ranger if it was okay and he said "wellvyou can go and detect just be sure to fill in your holes" the park was very small .

So again thank you, I don't want any problems or leave a bad rap for metal detecting.
mr

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

N5xtr, are you referring to "all federal land" ? Or just federal land that is a "wild-life" refuge ? Do not make the oft-repeated mistake of thinking that "all federal land is a no-no for md'ing. This is not true. There are various forms of federal land with no prohibitions (silent on the subject). And others with outright express allowances (BLM, NFS, etc....). So it's simply not true that "all federal land is a no-no".

And I'm not sure if the OP's particular wild-life refuge is even federal (perhaps it was state? county? etc...). But for sake of argument, let's assume it is the type of federal land that's the sub-set of wildlife refuge. Where are you getting that md'ing is not allowed ? I just looked it up, and find no specific prohibition. Here's their listing of rules:

eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

And the most I could find, that *possibly* could be construed, is the following:

§27.62 Search for and removal of objects of antiquity.

No person shall search for or remove from national wildlife refuges objects of antiquity except as may be authorized by 43 CFR part 3.

§27.63 Search for and removal of other valued objects.

(a) No person shall search for buried treasure, treasure trove, valuable semi-precious rocks, stones, or mineral specimens on national wildlife refuges unless authorized by permit or by provision of this subchapter C.

(b) Permits are required for archeological studies on national wildlife refuges in accordance with the provisions of this subchapter C.

Notice metal detectors is not specifically mentioned. And the same boiler plate stuff above could be said of BLM or NFS for instance, where it's not dis-allowed. Such that.... sure, so long as you're not looking for "treasure" (you're just looking for fumble fingers losses), and so long as you're not finding antiquities (50 or 100 yr. or older coins), then it's not dis-allowed.

Heck, the OP should be given a medal for removing potentially harmful metals that leach pollutants (lead, copper, etc...) that could harm the wild-life :)

Can you provide any citation (from your father or anyone) who has been "arrested" at a wildlife refuge for md'ing ? How is it that the OP, and people he saw (and myself and others) who've md'd them, never gotten hassled ? Oh sure, I'm sure that SOMEWHERE at one or a few of them, a "scram" has been passed out. But the same could be said of city parks, beaches, etc.... of ANYWHERE we md'rs hunt, that anyone can gripe.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on your new machine and getting out for a couple of hunts!

OP
OP
muddyrock

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N5xtr, are you referring to "all federal land" ? Or just federal land that is a "wild-life" refuge ? Do not make the oft-repeated mistake of thinking that "all federal land is a no-no for md'ing. This is not true. There are various forms of federal land with no prohibitions (silent on the subject). And others with outright express allowances (BLM, NFS, etc....). So it's simply not true that "all federal land is a no-no".

And I'm not sure if the OP's particular wild-life refuge is even federal (perhaps it was state? county? etc...). But for sake of argument, let's assume it is the type of federal land that's the sub-set of wildlife refuge. Where are you getting that md'ing is not allowed ? I just looked it up, and find no specific prohibition. Here's their listing of rules:

eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

And the most I could find, that *possibly* could be construed, is the following:

§27.62 Search for and removal of objects of antiquity.

No person shall search for or remove from national wildlife refuges objects of antiquity except as may be authorized by 43 CFR part 3.

§27.63 Search for and removal of other valued objects.

(a) No person shall search for buried treasure, treasure trove, valuable semi-precious rocks, stones, or mineral specimens on national wildlife refuges unless authorized by permit or by provision of this subchapter C.

(b) Permits are required for archeological studies on national wildlife refuges in accordance with the provisions of this subchapter C.

Notice metal detectors is not specifically mentioned. And the same boiler plate stuff above could be said of BLM or NFS for instance, where it's not dis-allowed. Such that.... sure, so long as you're not looking for "treasure" (you're just looking for fumble fingers losses), and so long as you're not finding antiquities (50 or 100 yr. or older coins), then it's not dis-allowed.

Heck, the OP should be given a medal for removing potentially harmful metals that leach pollutants (lead, copper, etc...) that could harm the wild-life :)

Can you provide any citation (from your father or anyone) who has been "arrested" at a wildlife refuge for md'ing ? How is it that the OP, and people he saw (and myself and others) who've md'd them, never gotten hassled ? Oh sure, I'm sure that SOMEWHERE at one or a few of them, a "scram" has been passed out. But the same could be said of city parks, beaches, etc.... of ANYWHERE we md'rs hunt, that anyone can gripe.

Well after reading this I did do a little more investigating, The Park/wild-life refuge is city owned. This Park/wild-life refuge has access for Kayaks, canoes and even BBQing as well as 52 acres of trails for the public to enjoy nature walks.

I just e-mailed the city conservation to seek permission. Perhaps that is what the other MDers did. Time will tell and I will update with any info I may get.

Congratz on your new machine and getting out for a couple of hunts!

Thank you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...I just e-mailed the city conservation to seek permission. Perhaps that is what the other MDers did.....

Couldn't you just look up the rules for the city parks there, and see if there's anything that says "no metal detecting" ? And if not, then presto, it's not forbidden. In the same way that if you saw no prohibition on flying frisbees, you wouldn't think you need to ask "can I fly frisbees?".

Because you might become a victim of the "no one cared TILL you asked" psychology now. Ie.: the "safe answer" scenario, when, truth-be-told, whatever pencil pusher fields the "pressing question" might never have cared less, or given the matter a moment's thought. Let's hope that's not what happens.

Followup here with the answer please, now that you've already asked. Because if you do get a "no", let us know what they backed that up with. Ie.: is it a "no because I said so" type answer ? Or "no because we think it will harm earthworms" ? Or is there actually a true specific rule they point to that truly says "no metal detecting" ?

Let us know.

OP
OP
muddyrock

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA,
After spending countless hours searching the web on rules, laws as well as City and Town Ordinances and Bylaws and find nothing that states any thing against city parks in the town I was interested in. So I think I just over reacted and will continue to enjoy my new hobby. However at least I have a better understanding of state parks and their rules.

I have not yet received any replies from my e-mails ( not surprised to be honest )

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all of your finds to date. That flat button from Friday's hunt has some age to it. Your bound to come across some old coins if you put in the time. Keep at it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... and find nothing that states any thing against city parks in the town I was interested in. ....

In that case, it's silent on the subject. And as such, not prohibited.

Naturally be aware that we md'rs still need to use due-discretion. Because we're in a odd-ball hobby that has ... uh .... connotations. Eg.: that you might be about to leave a hole or mess. Or that you might "take" something, etc.... So you still go at low traffic times, so as not to offend the squeemish :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread