Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good hunt today in the city....

8th and 9th IHPs for this park since Sept 1. Also two flat buttons, the larger retains a little gilt - wish I could read the lettering. Two 'militaria' pieces, one is part of an aviator's ring (eagles on sides) and a Great Seal uniform pin with iron backing, and my best finds of the day: first ever one-ringer(fired) and what appears to be a J hook.

older coins.jpgbuttons.jpgmilitaria.jpgCivil War items.jpg

Upvote 13
Thanks! I'm amazed at the variety of objects that come out of this park.

Thanks. That's my third hunt with the F75/NEL Tornado combination.

Awesome finds for a park. How did you remove the green patina from those IHP's? The 1905 has good detail.

Very good finds from ANY site. Amazing they were in a park though. I am having a hard time figuring out my favorite.

L-D, I had to decide on leaving the IHPS as hand-cleaned with a small piece of wood or get everything off, including the patina. After getting most the surface dirt off, I warmed up some hydrogen peroxide and put them in, when cooled I brushed them lightly with a toothbrush, and then soaked them for awhile in olive oil. Had they been really toasted I would have left them hand-cleaned.

New York troops were encamped there during the Civil War and there was a military hospital on the grounds.

MCDIG NICE FINDS YOU HAVE THERE ..

I have never had that much luck in getting the green off. I have tried both, boiling Hydrogen Peroxide and EVOO plus picking with wooded toothpicks. Seems like you have the knack and are better at it.

There is a benefit to leaving them "green". The use of peroxide does take the contrast away that you have when the "green" coin has most dirt removed, so many would prefer it left in the state it was when dug.

Well done my man. That park has been very good to you.

Nice finds, cool buttons, silver OD, and always love the IHP's

Nice fun finds! Is that ring lead? Getting vertigris off of coins is extremely difficult; for some...impossible. It depends on the extent (depth) of the corrosion.

aj

Thanks RJ55. That larger button has a tiny amount of gilt remaining. That much was not evident until I put it in a dilute lemon juice solution. That with a little rubbing with a tooth brush revealed the gilt. The button appears to quite old and it has suffered a lot of oxidation/decay so the lettering is just not visible enough to id. Too bad, because I think it is military.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back