Fisher 1266X help

TIM F

Feb 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher 1266X that I have had for a long time. It has a issue where when I cut it on sometimes it comes on and other times it does not. Sometimes it makes signals like it loses power. I tested the coil and the unit does not seem to be getting very much depth at all. This has been a great unit and I was wondering if anyone had any input as to what may be wrong with it. Has anyone had issues like this with the 1266x? I love the machine and would like to get it fixed. I heard that there is a place in Texas that does repairs on Fishers and is pretty good. I was wondering if it could be possible that the coil was bad? I was going to order a coil and try that but did not want to waste the money if the detector was too far gone. If I cut the on an off switch on several times the unit does come on but seems like the depth is just not over 3 to 4 inches. This unit has been a deep running unit sometimes digging down to 14 inches in the past. I have heard sometimes the battery connectors could be bad also. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tim

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some machines have capacitors that breakdown over time. I had an old whites that had corrosion on the battery springs and terminals. One dirty connection will stop current flow.
The 1266 is getting on a bit now, there are alot of really affordable, capable, modern , reliable light weight machines available these days. I dare say even a used F75 is nicer balanced and plenty deep.
Its not nice to go hunting and be constantly wondering if the machine is functioning at full depth and running consistently.

Chub

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard TIM! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
You might browse BRANDS > FISHER RESEARCH LABS for additional information.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Tim...Welcome..:hello:

Gotta agree with Chub on this one. The 1266x is an awesome relic
hunter, and I had one many moons ago. Great machine, but heavy.

The technology has taken leaps and bounds since the CZ 5, 6 and 1266x
days, and the whole detector weighs about as much as the control box
on your 1266.

With the cost of repairs, shipping, etc. you'd be a good step ahead investing
the same money into a far more capable machine.

Give Bart (at Big Boys Hobbies) or one of the other supporting vendors
a call. I'm sure they could suggest a repair facility, and they can also
tell you about what's new in the world of detectors. :thumbsup:

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar issue with my old 1266. Take a good look at the plastic battery holders. One of mine had developed a hairline crack that was causing it to loose the connection intermittently. I ordered a replacement off of Amazon and that cured the problem.

D.

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher 1266X that I have had for a long time. It has a issue where when I cut it on sometimes it comes on and other times it does not. Sometimes it makes signals like it loses power. I tested the coil and the unit does not seem to be getting very much depth at all. This has been a great unit and I was wondering if anyone had any input as to what may be wrong with it. Has anyone had issues like this with the 1266x? I love the machine and would like to get it fixed. I heard that there is a place in Texas that does repairs on Fishers and is pretty good. I was wondering if it could be possible that the coil was bad? I was going to order a coil and try that but did not want to waste the money if the detector was too far gone. If I cut the on an off switch on several times the unit does come on but seems like the depth is just not over 3 to 4 inches. This unit has been a deep running unit sometimes digging down to 14 inches in the past. I have heard sometimes the battery connectors could be bad also. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Keith willis is in Gilmore ,Texas.He repairs ALL detectors.1-903-734-7773

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions